You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #4061
Stalker of Britain

Nice. I don't even like superhero movies, but I'm excited to see this.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #4062
Filmfreak

The Cabin in the Woods - 3 / 5

Not your average horror movie. Writer/producer Joss Whedon gave this an entirely original twist. I really love the concept he came up with, as well as some of the film's humour (scaring the audience with the title card of the film is a feat!).
Still not convinced that makes it a great movie, though. Good, definitely, but great?

The Avengers - 4 / 5

Now THIS is how you handle an ensemble cast in an action movie! Michael Bay should take notes.
Everybody gets a more or less equal share of screen time and everyone gets their moment of sheer epicness. The humour was once again handled brilliantly (the jet pilot's reaction when the Hulk charges at him, and the Hulk's "puny god" moment will have you in stitches).
This film made me feel like I did during the first Iron Man film - wanting to stand up and demand more when the credits rolled. It's good. It's really good!
Also, I was really impressed with both Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo's Bruce Banner is a lot closer to Bana's than Norton's, but I think he beats both of them, a really good replacement.
Anyway, if you liked any of the recent Marvel superhero movies, then you'll love this one...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #4063
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
The Avengers - 4 / 5

Now THIS is how you handle an ensemble cast in an action movie! Michael Bay should take notes.
Everybody gets a more or less equal share of screen time and everyone gets their moment of sheer epicness. The humour was once again handled brilliantly (the jet pilot's reaction when the Hulk charges at him, and the Hulk's "puny god" moment will have you in stitches).
This film made me feel like I did during the first Iron Man film - wanting to stand up and demand more when the credits rolled. It's good. It's really good!
Also, I was really impressed with both Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo's Bruce Banner is a lot closer to Bana's than Norton's, but I think he beats both of them, a really good replacement.
Anyway, if you liked any of the recent Marvel superhero movies, then you'll love this one...
Going to see this Wednesday, can't wait. 2D version all the way though, Odeon can go fist themselves if they reckon I'm paying 4 quid more for that shite.

Saw Hobo With A Shotgun last night, classic case of a film title being the best thing about it by far. Poor Rutger didn't even have any classic lines, made me long for Hitcher and Split Second.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4064
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk View Post
2D version all the way though, Odeon can go fist themselves if they reckon I'm paying 4 quid more for that shite.
Completely agree. Except it's Kinepolis for me instead of Odeon...

Quote:
Saw Hobo With A Shotgun last night, classic case of a film title being the best thing about it by far. Poor Rutger didn't even have any classic lines, made me long for Hitcher and Split Second.
How about Blade Runner and Blind Fury? Or his Dutch Paul Verhoeven films?
I wonder why his career stalled 20 years ago. Hauer was a classic villain...
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #4065
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan
The Avengers - 4 / 5

I loved Avengers too, and you could really see Whedon's influence, especially in how Black Widow's role was handled. She's a non-powered character that really had nothing to do in the final fight, and he managed to establish her enough to not make her stick out like a sore thumb or drop into the shadows.

Also, he changed the conventions of "spy girl" behavior [sort of spoilers follow]
Spoiler:
by having Scarlett Johansson act just as well when Black Widow is acting as when she's being sincere. Usually when the femme fatale uses "being a girl" to her advantage in a fight/interrogation the actress/director show it by having her act worse than normal and a lot of winking to the screen. Here she was absolutely believable until she revealed she was acting. Absolutely an improvement, and a well-crafted role.

There were some small things I reacted to;
Spoiler:
I felt the Hulk went from "no control" to "fully in control" without any explanation, a few plot-leaps and Loke didn't have much personality or much of himself left, he was kinda reduced to a power-hungry henchman. Also, I hate Jeremy Renner. I felt he over-acted and didn't bring much to Hawkeye to let him grow into a big part of the Avengers team. For my part he could have stayed evil..

But there was nothing that detracted from the experience, and I enjoyed every minute of the film, and would absolutely see it again. Also, new Hulk is awesome, and Nick Fury is badass!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #4066

Went to see Headhunters(Hodejegerne) this weekend. Fantastic movie! It's an intelligent action-thriller without all the Hollywood nonsense. Really funny film too, very nice sense of black humor. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones) plays a stone cold psychopath and does it really well. Rest of the cast is great too. Overall a more than decent thriller that thoroughly entertains.
4/5
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #4067
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
How about Blade Runner and Blind Fury? Or his Dutch Paul Verhoeven films?
I wonder why his career stalled 20 years ago. Hauer was a classic villain...
Blade Runner has to be his all-time classic, I was more in a mood for a cheesy effort though Great shout with Blind Fury, wish they made 'em like that still! In fact, that's getting watched again tonight...

It's a damn shame he sank so fast, he can do manic/psycho just as good as Nicholson etc, and no one can match that charisma - we always root for him even when he's a complete nut job mentalist (and he usually is).

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #4068
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
There were some small things I reacted to;
Spoiler:
I felt the Hulk went from "no control" to "fully in control" without any explanation, a few plot-leaps and Loke didn't have much personality or much of himself left, he was kinda reduced to a power-hungry henchman. Also, I hate Jeremy Renner. I felt he over-acted and didn't bring much to Hawkeye to let him grow into a big part of the Avengers team. For my part he could have stayed evil..
Spoiler:
I agree with the Hulk being suddenly and inexplicably in control. He should've been in control the first time in this film, imo. That was basically what they were already going for with the 'The Incredible Hulk' movie.
Didn't have a problem with Loki (because I liked Hiddleston's performance), or with Renner, though.

Question for the comic-fans: isn't Cobie Smulders too 'nice' for her role as Maria Hill?
Not that I mind, though, because Smulders is gorgeous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce
Went to see Headhunters(Hodejegerne) this weekend. Fantastic movie!
Agreed! Yellow Bird Productions ("we turn bestsellers into blockbusters") makes great films...
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #4069

Quote:
Yellow Bird Productions ("we turn bestsellers into blockbusters") makes great films...
Great tv-shows as well(Wallander, Irene Huss)