View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 AM   #4
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
How do you all feel about Loom?
I feel that I need to somehow obtain the VGA version ASAP! Wow, that's gorgeous! I already thought the game was beautiful and I have the non-remade (and non-voice) one! Holy crap!

Anyway, I love this game (as stated in this other thread). It's a totally original world, with its own mythology and societies, but it doesn't get lost in the uniqueness; ie, the game does an excellent job of simply existing in the world it sets up, rather than trying to have the entire game just be a showcase for it. The Book of Patterns goes a long way towards achieving this goal. How cool was the Book of Patterns, by the way? Well, I'll tell you: awesomely cool.

And it's a musical adventure! This I felt was very cool in itself. It didn't require you to be a musician, but it still presented the interface in such a way that the player really was doing what Bobbin would actually be doing. Not many adventure games do this (with their bottomless pocket inventories and so forth). I know it's not a traditional interface, but I thought it was great. It took the fundamentals of an inventory-based adventure and modified them to rid itself of extraneous elements and make sense within the presented world. Acquiring drafts is congruous to obtaining inventory items, and using drafts is congrous to using inventory items with characters or objects in the game. The game still has puzzles, of course, but they're puzzles that Bobbin would realistically need to do in order to progress. As much as adventure games are generally built around the "pulley in the rubber chicken" variety of puzzle, this was a very welcome (and still very unique) change.

And I love the whole story of the game. It's obviously fairly short, but I think that this is in large part due to the removal of some of the more non-essential elements of typical adventure gaming. The game in no way came off worse for wear. I thought it was great.

And I loved Bobbin's character. You never learn too much about him, but his mystery fits well within the backstory that's set up, and Moriarty did a fine job of dropping little hints about his personality. I really liked Bobbin's reserved but still subtly defiant attitude.

In short--this game is awesome. Play it now. And somebody give me a copy of the CD version. Now. Please.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright