View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Totoro

Default Games on Mac OS X

I'd like to start a thread (without the usual "Mac versus PC" arguments) where Mac OS X users can share their advice (similar to the Games on Vista thread).

It's possible to install Windows XP or Vista on Intel-based Macs -- with Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion -- so a comparison of these options might be of interest. But I don't want to install Windows on my computer, so I've been exploring other options.

The Macintosh adventures article recommends several freeware games, but the latest Macs don't include a Classic environment.

ScummVM is compatible with lots of classic adventures. I've completed Beneath a Steel Sky (freeware), Broken Sword 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle, Flight of the Amazon Queen (freeware), Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge and The Curse of Monkey Island.

DOSBox is available for non-ScummVM games (I've used it with Little Big Adventure 1 & 2). The DOSBox website also mentions GOG.com, which might be a good place to buy The Feeble Files and Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2.

CrossOver Games requires an Intel-based Mac, and officially supports only certain MMORPG and FPS games, but I've used it to play Syberia 1 & 2. Not all games will work, so I recommend first trying a demo (e.g. the Psychonauts and Runaway 2 demos were playable, but A Vampyre Story wouldn't install). I already own several PC games, so I've tested them with CrossOver Games 7.1.1 and Mac OS X 10.5.6 on a MacBook Pro computer.
  • Blade Runner (DVD-ROM edition): Installs but doesn't launch (and then the computer hangs).
  • Discworld Noir (3 x CD-ROM edition): Installs but doesn't launch.
  • Escape from Monkey Island (2 x CD-ROM edition): Unable to eject Disc 1 halfway through the installation.
  • Gabriel Knight 3 (3 x CD-ROM edition): Appears to work correctly, if launched with the "Trouble Shooting > GK3 software" shortcut (which uses a software renderer).
  • Grim Fandango (2 x CD-ROM edition): There are audio problems (either it goes silent, or it gets stuck and keeps looping) and the game occasionally hangs.
  • The Longest Journey (4 x CD-ROM edition): Installs but doesn't launch. The DVD-ROM edition with the latest patch might work better.
  • Syberia Pack (from the Adventure Shop): Installs but doesn't launch (possibly due to the copy protection).
  • Syberia 1 (2 x CD-ROM edition): There are some minor audio and video glitches, but I was able to complete the game.
  • Syberia 1 & 2 (DVD-ROM collector's edition): I didn't fully test this edition of Syberia 1, but I was able to complete Syberia 2. If Syberia 1 doesn't work in full-screen mode, try restoring the display (Command-Option-R), minimizing the window (Command-M) and restoring the window (by clicking its dock icon). If Syberia 2 hangs, try changing the Detail Level to Low or Medium (in the main options screen).

I've also tested a few Underground adventures with CrossOver Games.

I haven't purchased any native Mac OS X games yet. There are a few recommendations in the Best Mac Adventures thread, but it doesn't seem possible to search the Reviews database by platform.