View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #403
Origami

A quick listing:

Note beforehand; I am a man of narration, atmosphere and music.
My fav books are whodunnit/locked-room murder mysteries from the golden age. Don't be shocked if your fav AG is missing from the list. Great chances are I haven't played it. I did play my share of AG's but I am probably beat in numbers by the majority here.
Which I am glad about by the way as I have yet to discover some beautiful AG gems.(The Last Express being a prime example)

1) Grim Fandango
My all-time favourite adventure game. A mixture of two amazaing atmospheric styles; Mexican folkculture, film-noir.
I love the outside festival in year 1 with the mexican music and I love the Rubacava night-life in year 2 with bebop, jazz and swing.
The characters,voice-acting and dialog is one of the best. Puzzles are pretty logical and fun with a good balance of difficulty.
2) The Last Express
For almost the same reasons mentioned above except for the puzzles. Great captivating atmosphere with great characters(Robert Cath being one of my fav protagonists) Love the historical background. Owh and the story and flow is wonderful. Great partial murder-mystery with the game having an amazing climax and ending and a surprising awesome twist in the identity of murderer.
3) Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis
I love a good mystery and I love a good treasure hunt. Most is already known about Indiana Jones. Great characters, great style with the good amount of comedy, great theme and I love the global-trotting and visiting exotic locations.
4) Shadow of Memories
Although the game has flaws it makes more than up in gameplay, atmosphere and plot. I love time-travel narratives and imo this game is the best game to incoporate time traveling(I haven't played Journeyman Project and Lost in Time yet). It has some nice twists at the end.
5)Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel
I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes(I know, by know you must think I am a fan of anything lol) and this was the first SH game for me but still holds as my favourite one. Why? Because, contrary to the new Frogware titles, it has lush vivid colourful detailed environments which captivates Victorian London so well.

And that's why I have always preferred 2D adventure over 3D. 3D rendered games always fail to capture that detailism to sell authentic environments. Most 3D rendered games end up in patterned and rehashment in environments to speed up development. A franchise that avoided that despite being 3D is Uncharted. But I am side-tracking. These are stories for another time =D

Anyway I am done for now. Will post 6-10 later.