View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #406
harald

I wanted to give this a try too, since all the cool people seem to be doing it all of a sudden. Eventually, I had to split the list in two because I ranked the games for slightly different reasons:

There are games that I just love because they appeal to me in a special kind of way (for example because of their unique graphic style or especially interesting story). I'm guessing those are the ones who truly belong in the list.

But there are also some titles that are very, very good, but for some reason I didn't enjoy them as much as they deserve. I still wanted to acknowledge their brilliance and the talent used to make them, so I created one "personal" list and one "objective" list. Both are, of course, very subjective.

Objective list
These games are just superb, but if I give my personal feelings free reins, some games will be replaced or moved down the list. Because I simply like others more, even if I don't consider them to be as good. Also, most of these are here because they have great story, graphics, characters, voice acting, music and puzzles. Unless I mention something else, that's the "only" reason.

1. Pandora Directive
Multiple paths and endings. Big plus if executed well. And they are.
2. Grim Fandango
3. Day of the Tentacle
I'm also impressed with the design here, how well they made everything work despite the complicated nature of the time-travelling.
4. Curse of Monkey Island
Close between this one and the first two. I'm not sure I made the right decision here, actually, but I didn't want to put them all in.
5. The Longest Journey
6. Riven
Possibly the best puzzle in an adventure game ever? Yes, I also think this game is mostly just one huge puzzle. No, I haven't played every adventure game ever. But it IS a great puzzle. It's just a shame that it wasn't designed to be solved by human beings with normal brains. If I were a hyper-intelligent space alien this game would be my top favourite ever.
7. King's Quest VI
You may have noticed I'm a sucker for alternate puzzle solutions and endings. It doesn't work as well here due to some stilted design, but still very cool.
8. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Again, I love multiple paths. Although in this one, it's more like three different games with the same story and ending.
9. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
10. Discworld Noir
The first game to use the amazingly clever clue-inventory? Mix with a nice story and so-so graphics, but a wonderful atmosphere, and you've got this one.

<snip> Yeah, this post is already too long, and I want at least some people to read it. Maybe I'll post my "personal" list later. It's not radically different, but there are a few games in there that are very dear to me.