View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #25
Winterfury

Thank you again, GreyFuss. But I'm afraid that here: "an addition fix for those who had a little trouble with the above fix" you got it a bit wrong. It's my fault, I should have provided a better explanation. These two fixes aren't connected in any possible way. The second fix tries to solve a completely different and entirely separate problem. It's in no way an additional fix for those who experienced problems with text fix, it's a fix for those who have different (not text related) problems which go away after they disable video acceleration. Let me quote sanford from GameBoomers forums:

"Hi everybody. I have Win XP and I finally got DSOM to work correctly on my PC. Here's how: I installed the TEXT PATCH as mentioned. I also went to DXDIAG>Display, and disabled DIRECT DRAW. <skipped>"

What he in fact did was not disabling DirectDraw (if he somehow managed to do that, the game not only wouldn't work correctly on his PC, but in fact would refuse to work at all) but disabling DirectDraw acceleration. Well, the xvideoio.dll fix does exactly that. It disables DirectDraw acceleration, but it does it locally, for the game only, thus eliminating the need of executing DXDIAG, disabling acceleration, executing DXDIAG again and restoring old settings afterwards.

So, to sum it up: if you have (video related) problems which disappear when you turn off video acceleration completely, you might want to try the second fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFuss View Post
I played and finished the game with your original fix with absolutely no problems.
I'm very glad to hear that.