View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Kurufinwe

Welcome back, ATMachine! I absolutely love that kind of stuff, the little details of how the finished products came into being. The Dig is particularly interesting... It feels a lot like Tolkien's Silmarillion: the released product is just a small amount of all the material that was related to it at one time or another --- except of course that in the book's case, all the drafts and variants have been preserved and published, whereas for the Dig everything has probably been deleted long ago, and we only have little bits and pieces to go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Today, I've found another treasure trove: scans of French gaming magazine Tilt from the early 1990s. They've provided me with several interesting gems.
That's what you get for not hanging around here anymore. I've been aware of that site with the scans for (literally) half a decade. If you had asked for scans of old magazines here, I would have pointed you to it.

You know, after almost 20 years, I still miss Tilt. It was a fantastic gaming mag. Back then, all the other French computer-gaming magazines felt like they were written by excited teenagers. Tilt was much more mature and professional, and each month I was eagerly waiting for my Dad to come back home with the new issue. And it had a full section devoted to adventure games every month! It ended right at the pinnacle of "classic" adventure gaming: the last issue had reviews of GK, LSL6 and Sam & Max (those were the days...).

My Dad has all the issues starting from number 56 at home (what prompted him to buy that particular issue is anyone's guess... ), and that's something we treasure.

Let me know if there are texts you might want translated, I should be able to help.

Quote:
I'd seen a scan of this before, but at a much lower resolution.
Hey, that was my scan! Well over a decade ago, as I was browsing our Tilt collection for whatever reason, I stumbled upon that preview, scanned it and sent it some guy that had a Dig fansite that was investigating the early versions of the game ("The Dig Museum", or something like that?). (Was that you, by the way?) Sorry for the low quality scan; good scanners were expensive back then.

Anyway, welcome back and thanks for all the fantastic work.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]