View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #189
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
I could make a very strong case for AITD being better than any Silent Hill and surely Bioforge and others. At any rate, I would consider the title more adventure-y than, say, Penumbra and overall better. It's arguably one of the greatest and most influential designs ever made (I remember one magazine in 1992 claiming it was the best piece of software ever coded).
We can always keep pushing the bar a little bit further until eventually everything is eligible. But that's the slippery slope argument and you have to draw some lines somewhere. Alone in the Dark is certainly one of those genre-blenders that could go either way. But since it went on to largely spawn a whole new genre of its own, I see no reason to consider it an adventure now. Certainly the bulk of its influence was NOT on the adventure genre, so it's rather insignficant to this list.

I don't see it as more adventurey than Penumbra (note we nominated the second game, not the more action-oriented Overture) or any of the other games on this list, in any case. I remember dying in the very first room of AITD. Admittedly, that's because I wasn't familiar with the controls, but still.