View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #198
AnneS

A great list, and since I've only played a quarter of the games on it I have some serious catching up to do.

And yaaaaaaaaaay Grim Fandango! My favourite adventure game of all time (quite possibly my favourite game of all time) and a worthy holder of the crown.

Speaking of crowns, though, here are the games that I'd have put on a top-whatever list that missed out on a slot ...

Gray Matter: I know it wasn't particularly well-received after all the anticipation, but I file this under 'games the internet found disappointing that I adore' along with Dragon Age 2. I've played better adventure games, but none that was so perfectly on my wavelength. I loved the characters, story and puzzles, and especially the magic trick interface. Yes, it probably helps that I've never played Gabriel Knight and had no particular expectations, but I'd still have liked to see it on the list.

The Lost Crown: To me, this is the list's most shocking omission. It's a great ghost story with one of the most immersive and fascinating environments in the genre, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Scratches: Hands down, the scariest game I've ever played. (Admittedly, I have never played Amnesia. I know my limits.) A dozen times I wanted to stop, but the compelling story drove me onwards to the finale. Here's hoping Asylum is even better. (I cannot really hope it is scarier, because then I would have to play it in broad daylight with all the lights in the house switched on.)