View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #200
diego

And the winner is...

GF might have got it, but the real winner is the team behind the list - it's a painstaking business where you must be prepared for heavy critics and various "pain in the #@$@%", like myself. But wait, not just yet. Seriously, great job to everyone involved, i think it's the first Top 100 of this sort.

The strongest impression:

The early 90s might have been named the "golden age", but how do we call the second half of the decade then? 7 out of Top 9 games are 95-99 titles.

Madre de Dios!

"Curse" at #45

They forgot the onions!

The Legend of Kyrandia - Hand of Fate. It has to fit in there.

Runaway: A Road Adventure - I absolutely agree third one is the best. However, and looking from the perspective of historical significance - The first Runaway is, more than any other game, a metaphor of genre in "Dark ages" still being capable of producing something which its followers will get a tight grip on, raise in the air and yell to their enemies right into the face: "Mine is prettier than yours!" Not a bad game, too.

Also, a little shocking only TBOUT made it of German developers. Daedalic for example, deserves at least one spot somewhere for everything they've done in last couple of years.

Indy, and especially AGS games, aside from Gemini Rue, could use another mention. They've been the most constant source of games for years and quite possibly one of the main factors of keeping the genre recognition.

Outcast didn't make the list probably because the team didn't consider it, and games like these, to be an option. Like Realms of the Haunting, for example. But, looking at some titles that did make it, the questions arise once more - where is the boundary, and what makes the difference?

But, if one of the goals of Top 100 was to show diversity and vast richness of the adventure genre, AND that adventure games are expanding its territory or maybe - "mainstream" is coming to adventure once more, it succeeded.

I wouldn't further comment top choices. GF is smart and safe choice in a sense that few people really HATE it. I mean, you can attach Myst to the fishing hook and get a good catch. Or Dean Erickson.