View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #231
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
Agreed, the influences of AITD resulted in a very different genre. But, as I see it, the game came out during the so-called golden age of adventures, and in a sense you could say that it was a classical adventure that introduced combat elements; by the same logic, most of us agree that Quest For Glory is an adventure with lighthearted RPG elements.
Ironically, AITD is probably the victim (in this case) of too much influence. If it hadn't essentially spun off a whole new genre, it would undoubtedly still be one of those genre-benders that we'd consider an adventure (by our standards). Now it's simpler to just categorize it as a survival horror, which we don't generally include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Best designer of all time

I've actually given up trying to do this rigorously, since the results are going to depend on how you count people having co-designed games. So, based just on the number of games on the list, the top-10, and the #1 game, I'm going to say that the King of Adventures is

Tim Schaffer
That is a truly disturbing image. So disturbing, I felt the need to inflict it on everyone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
The early 90s might have been named the "golden age", but how do we call the second half of the decade then? 7 out of Top 9 games are 95-99 titles.
Its more a reference the genre's industry dominance. I don't think it's a coincidence that the late '90s produced some gems, as experienced developers were really refining/perfecting their craft by then. Unfortunately, not enough people cared about them by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
More importantly - It seem like TellTale has been grossly overlooked in this list. Is there really no one in the AG Staff that likes TellTale as much as i do?
Making the top 50 is overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Any chance of a 'Top 100 Worst Adventure Games' list?
This would be a lot harder than you think, since most of us don't bother to play the games we know are turds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
The true Golden Age of adventures

When looking at the years at which the games were released, it's useful to have both the raw number of games (top) and the results weighted by rank (bottom):

I think those graphs are absolutely amazing: they give a perfect picture of the history of graphic adventures. We may have our gripes about some games on the list, but I think these graphs confirm that the top-100 is a very fair and accurate representation of the genre.
First of all, outstanding work on the graphs, Dr. Kurufinwe.

This was the one I was most intrigued/pleased by. We certainly made a conscious choice to try to represent the genre's complete history, but there was no intentional quota for old vs. new, and I really hadn't even considered how it all played out until now.