View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #34
Winterfury

I've reuploaded the video fix (patched xvideoio.dll) since the file I uploaded earlier was removed:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bm707wxoytg62rw

I've also uploaded the latest version of RICHED32.DLL (5.0.1461.82), the one that was shipped with Windows ME. It was the last 'true' version before Microsoft switched to emulation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pokv5p07xqfx4p9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
And finally it all makes sense. This PC I use was a Dell. I just pulled out the old recovery disc and extracted the riched32.dll file to discover it had a file version of 4.00.834.839. But sometime years later I updated the BIOS on the MB, and I had to buy a retail version of 98 to later reinstall the OS. (The recovery disc no longer recognized it as a Dell.) And so I checked the version number of riched32.dll currently on my OS and there it was - version 4.00.993.4. (The one Winterfury found to be the only compatible version of Rich Edit!)
Actually, 4.00.993.4 is not the version of Rich Edit, it's the version of riched32.dll (the file which contains implementation of Rich Edit 1.0 control). Think of it as the build version. Both riched32.dll of version 4.00.993.4 and riched32.dll of version 5.0.1461.82 (for example) are implementations of the same old Rich Edit 1.0 control. The more recent build may have some internal changes and introduce some fixes and optimizations, but it's essentially the same thing. Well, at least it's supposed to be. Also, it's not the only compatible version. The version that was shipped with Windows 95 is also compatible, so is the one that comes with Windows ME (5.0.1461.82). Somewhere along the way Microsoft decided to switch to Rich Edit 1.0 emulator and starting from Windows 2000 (I believe), each and every Microsoft OS was shipped with the emulator instead of the 'real thing'. That's where the problems come from. Apparently, the emulator wasn't tested enough or Microsoft just didn't care enough to fix the compatibility issues. The bottom line is, only the 'real thing' is compatible with DSOM, the emulator isn't.

If it doesn't make much sense, don't blame me, blame Microsoft. =)