You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia in German for a non-German!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Syberia in German for a non-German!

Hi, first post!

I recently completed the Syberia 1 demo and liked it so much I decided to buy the game. Sadly the nicely priced special edition with both Syberia 1 and 2 was not available on amazon.co.uk, but I did find it on amazon.de!

I am not a fluent speaker of german but when listening/watching german newspapers or TV I can get most of it but not every word. My question is will I have many problems playing the game? I think the big issues for me might be if a character says something that I did'nt get and he/she/it won't repeat it. My experience of the demo taught me that you can get characters to repeat certain conversations but will this always be the case? So will it be playable with the help of a dictionary at hand? Thank you!

(ps: does the game sound better with american or german voices?)
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to move your question into the Adventure forum. You'll probably get more responses there.

The game does have subtitles, so that might help you follow along. (They'd be in German, but in my experience, sometimes reading another language can be easier than listening to it.) I know you can watch the cutscenes over again but I'm not sure if they have dialogue in them. I don't think you can get characters to repeat everything they said, but I could be wrong about that... it's been a while since I played.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth87
Hi, first post!

I recently completed the Syberia 1 demo and liked it so much I decided to buy the game. Sadly the nicely priced special edition with both Syberia 1 and 2 was not available on amazon.co.uk, but I did find it on amazon.de!

I am not a fluent speaker of german but when listening/watching german newspapers or TV I can get most of it but not every word. My question is will I have many problems playing the game? I think the big issues for me might be if a character says something that I did'nt get and he/she/it won't repeat it. My experience of the demo taught me that you can get characters to repeat certain conversations but will this always be the case? So will it be playable with the help of a dictionary at hand? Thank you!

(ps: does the game sound better with american or german voices?)

If you mean this version
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007U5UUI

It is multilanguage and contains the full German, English and Spanish versions of the game. (At the beginning of the installation you are asked, which version you want to install.)
Also after installation, you can play the game without the DVD in your drive.
So I would recommend it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #4

Brilliant! Danke for your insider knowledge! I'll try the german first but if its too hard I will give in and go for american.

How do the german voice actors compare btw?

Thanks again.