You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Sound..uh game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #501

Number 6 is from Monkey Island 3, Stan's Theme... or, at least, music that plays in the crypt...

The original is Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 Funeral March. You have no idea how long it took me to find that out.

So, thank you for helping me learn something new.

Last edited by DustCropper; 10-11-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #502
Pixiehunter

6 is from the Curse of Monkey Island
Spoiler:
the I'm not dead! scene, when Guybrush ends up burried for the first time
. Don't know what the classical piece is called though, or who wrote it...

9 is the main theme of Loom, the opening screen if I recall correctly. It is, like all pieces in Loom, from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, the Pas de Trois Intrada from the first act.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
1) It's Greensleeves, one of my favourite traditional English songs. Now, the game in question is either King's Quest 1 or 2 because i know they both had PC Speaker renditions of it. I've never played KQ 1 and 2 so i'll just go with Kings Quest 2.
... and it's the other one. While preparing the file, I discovered that KQ2 uses a faster version — which is probably the least interesting piece of gaming trivia in history.

Quote:
8) No classical music medley is done without Toonstruck That's (again) Rossini's The Thieving Magpie played in Town Center.

And already guessed William Tell Overture from Day of the Tentacle plays too in Toonstruck.
Of course I was going to use something from Toonstruck. And indeed the William Tell piece is also used in Toonstruck (the Carecrow, I think?), though it doesn't falter halfway through as it does in DotT.

(By the way, I didn't mean to use the two Rossini pieces back to back; it just felt right to have them together, and it was only after I had completed the file that I realised that I had used the same composer twice in a row. I'd like to think that I subconsciously recognised the stylistic similarities, but it's probably just random luck.)

Quote:
and probably to What's Opera, Doc? too
Oh, I didn't know that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper View Post
Number 6 is from Monkey Island 3, Stan's Theme... or, at least, music that plays in the crypt...

The original is Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 Funeral March. You have no idea how long it took me to find that out.
Not exactly Stan's theme, but close enough: it's the fake ending credits that play when Guybrush "dies".

And I also had to do quite a bit of research to find the original names of all the classical pieces, but I enjoyed that; I think it's a nice way of learning stuff.

The list:

1. King's Quest I, Overture — Original: Greensleeves [diego]
6. Curse of Monkey Island, Guybrush's death — Original: F. Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2, Funeral March [DustCropper]
7. Day of the Tentacle, Introduction — Original: G. Rossini, William Tell, Overture [Trunkyo]
8. Toonstruck, Town Centre — Original: G. Rossini, The Thieving Magpie, Overture [diego]
9. Loom, Loom island — Original: P. I. Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Pas de Trois Intrada [Luna Sevithiainen]
12. The Last Express, Anna's concert — Original: C. Franck, Sonata for Violin and Piano in A Major [Fien]
20. Full Throttle, Attack of the bunnies — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries [Trunkyo]
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Spoiler:
Just a few minutes late...

Quote:
9 is the main theme of Loom, the opening screen if I recall correctly. It is, like all pieces in Loom, from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, the Pas de Trois Intrada from the first act.
It's indeed the main theme, or the Loom Island theme if you prefer. And indeed all the music in the game is from Swan Lake (which I guess somewhat makes sense), including the sound effects (like the short themes that play when a draft works or doesn't) – which I've always thought was pretty clever.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #505

By the way, I forgot yet another piece of trivia: Chopin's funeral march makes another appearance in the Monkey Island series; can anyone remember where?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #506

3 and 4 are Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens. I don't know in what games they are used though.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Spoiler:

That's correct, my mistake!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #508
Senior Passer-by

Numbers 2 and 17 are Beethoven's Fur Elise and The 5th Symphony (1st Movement), respectively. 18 is Dvorak, New World Symphony (4th Movement).
16 is the excerpt from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565.

I don't know in what games these can be heard though.

Last edited by zobraks; 10-11-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
3 and 4 are Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens. I don't know in what games they are used though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Numbers 2 and 17 are Beethoven's Fur Elise and The 5th Symphony (1st Movement), respectively. 18 is Dvorak, New World Symphony (4th Movement).
16 is the excerpt from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565.

I don't know in what games these can be heard though.
All of these are correct. (See? I told you you could participate even if you didn't know the games!)

I'll start posting hints later today.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #510

OK, time for hints.

But first, the updated list:

2. ?????? — Original: L. van Beethoven, Für Elise [zobraks]
3. ?????? — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [HandsFree]
4. ?????? — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [HandsFree]
6. Curse of Monkey Island, Guybrush's death — Original: F. Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2, Funeral March [DustCropper]
7. Day of the Tentacle, Introduction — Original: G. Rossini, William Tell, Overture [Trunkyo]
8. Toonstruck, Town Centre — Original: G. Rossini, The Thieving Magpie, Overture [diego]
9. Loom, Loom island — Original: P. I. Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Pas de Trois Intrada [Luna Sevithiainen]
12. The Last Express, Anna's concert — Original: C. Franck, Sonata for Violin and Piano in A Major [Fien]
16. ?????? — Original: J. S. Bach, Tocatta and Fugue in D minor [zobraks]
17. ?????? — Original: L. van Beethoven, Symphony No. 5, Allegro con brio [zobraks]
18. ?????? — Original: A. Dvořák, New World Symphony, Allegro con fuoco [zobraks]
20. Full Throttle, Attack of the bunnies — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries [Trunkyo]

Seems like we're still missing quite a few, and there are still some easy ones left. OK, hints:
  • As I mentioned, lots of old games. #4 and 5 are the only games that were released in the last 5 years (and #16 also had an updated re-release in that time frame; the music I used is from this re-release, whatever its quality might make you think).
  • #3: A clever puzzle with ghost dancers, in an iconic action-adventure game that had better puzzles (and storytelling) than many proper adventures.
  • #11: Sounds quiet and sad, but I mostly associate that music with nearly having a heart attack.
  • #14 is very clever, as it mixes two different classical pieces; it's from a series that has many smart uses of music — hardly a surprise, as the designer used to be a music teacher.
  • If you figure out the title of the classical piece used in #15, then you'll immediately identify the game it's from.
  • What is the one place in the world that #19 reminds you of?

And that's enough for now!

Don't forget to look for the extra secret that can be found in the medley, as announced earlier. As well as the question I asked a few posts ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Chopin's Funeral march makes another appearance in the Monkey Island series; can anyone remember where?

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 10-11-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #511

That helps
11 is from Shivers, but I don't know who wrote it.
15 is Liszt's Mephisto Waltz. From Faust obviously.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #512

Both correct. Of course, I would also like to know where they play in the game.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #513
I changed my title

Quote:
Chopin's Funeral march makes another appearance in the Monkey Island series; can anyone remember where?
MI2, Stan's Previously Owned Coffins

Also, I'm pretty sure half of 14 is Ride of the Valkyries as well.

Last edited by Shany; 10-12-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
MI2, Stan's Previously Owned Coffins
You're right! Though I had forgotten about the beginning of Stan's theme, and I was actually thinking of the Scabb island cemetery (see here, at around 0:35). So that's two uses of the Funeral march in MI2.

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty sure half of 14 is Ride of the Valkyries as well.
The melody is indeed a variation on Ride of the Valkyries. But what about the strings?

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 10-12-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #515
I changed my title

4 Has to be one of the new Sherlock Holmes games. Youtube says it's from Sh: Nemesis, in the tunnels underneath Buckingham palace, though to me that version doesn't sound exactly the same...

Also, no. 5 is the Hell Wing music from Sam&Max 205.

EDIT: Which is from "Dies irae" (though I don't know which version exactly)
This is the music in track 13 as well.

EDIT2: Liszt's version. Though half the time it doesn't sound like it...

Last edited by Shany; 10-12-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
4 Has to be one of the new Sherlock Holmes games. Youtube says it's from Sh: Nemesis, in the tunnels underneath Buckingham palace, though to me that version doesn't sound exactly the same...
I swear I've recorded it straight from the game!

Quote:
Also, no. 5 is the Hell Wing music from Sam&Max 205.
Definitely.

Quote:
EDIT: Which is from "Dies irae" (though I don't know which version exactly)
This is the music in track 13 as well.
That's right. The Dies Iræ is an old hymn, part of the catholic liturgy, that was set to music (Gregorian chant) in the Middle-Ages. This short musical motif has become one of the most ridiculously-overused pieces of music ever, whenever one wants to say "scary". See for instance the wikipedia page for a list of uses of the Dies Irae motif in classical music, as well as the podcast linked to at the bottom of the wikipedia page discussing its numerous uses in film music. (The hymn has of course been set to other compositions, such as in Mozart's requiem, but when people say "the Dies Iræ" they usually mean that original motif.)

It's no surprise that it would be used in games as well, as the two examples given here show. As a matter of fact, it was the constant use of the Dies Iræ motif in Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (great puzzle/strategy game, by the way — vastly superior to the repetitive Puzzle Quest games) that gave me the idea for this medley.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #517

Final hints!

But first, the updated list:

2. ?????? — Original: L. van Beethoven, Für Elise [zobraks]
3. ?????? — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [HandsFree]
4. Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis, Under Buckingham Palace — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [Shany, HandsFree]
5. Sam & Max Between Time and Space, Sam and Max's Hell wing — Original: Dies Iræ [Shany]
11. Shivers, ?????? — Original: ?????? [HandsFree]
13. ?????? — Original: Dies Iræ [Shany]
14. ?????? — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries and ?????? [Shany]
15. Faust, ?????? — Original: F. Liszt, Mephisto Waltz [HandsFree]
16. ?????? — Original: J. S. Bach, Tocatta and Fugue in D minor [zobraks]
17. ?????? — Original: L. van Beethoven, Symphony No. 5, Allegro con brio [zobraks]
18. ?????? — Original: A. Dvořák, New World Symphony, Allegro con fuoco [zobraks]

The hints:
  • #2: A music box worth stealing
  • #3: A Lovecraftian game
  • #10: The CD-ROM from Hell
  • #13: When the celestial spheres are well-aligned...
  • #14: Solving puzzles with nothing more than the clothes on your back. As for the original pieces: the Ride of the Valkyries is used, but the strings are from a different Wagner opera.
  • #16: A game mostly about a whip
  • #17: Could it have anything to do with this?
  • #18: The entire game's soundtrack was from the New World Symphony
  • #19: Mediocre edutainment; nice soundtrack, though

And don't forget that we're still looking for a location for #11 and 15.

Finally, the last challenge: identifying the music is well and good, but where are the numbers from?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #518

11 plays in the bedroom. I think 15 played in episode 2, Nathaniel's house (not sure though).
As for 18: Salammbo claimed the soundtrack was Dvorak, but in fact only a very small part was.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 AM   #519

10 and 19 sound like Mozart.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #520
I changed my title

Could no. 10 be from Simon the Sorcerer 3D?

EDIT:
According the hints (and Google+wikipedia) 3 is Alone in the Dark.

Oh, and after listening to the Sherlock Holmes piece on Youtube again, it's quite possible that the youtube poster used a different version.

Last edited by Shany; 10-13-2010 at 04:25 AM.