You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Sound..uh game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #521

I finally got around to give this a listen. Great music mix.

#17 I recognized right away. It's from the disco in Leisure Suit Larry 1, when Larry dances with... Fawn, I think her name is. (The VGA remake, obviously.)

#14 is from Larry 3, but I wouldn't have been able to place it without the hint. And I admit I had to resort to youtube in order to find which of Patti's adventures it came from. It's when she climbs the rope over the chasm.

In case anybody notices a theme, it's because I've been replaying my Sierra games collection during the last months. At first I thought number 14 was from a King's Quest game.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
11 plays in the bedroom. I think 15 played in episode 2, Nathaniel's house (not sure though).
As for 18: Salammbo claimed the soundtrack was Dvorak, but in fact only a very small part was.
No, 11 is not the bedroom. There's indeed a similar theme there, but that's not what I used.
I wish you would be sure about #15, because I'm not. I only decided to use it at the last moment, and even though I'm sure the music is used in Faust, I can't remember in which episode (and having been PC-less for months, I can't check). Episode 2 was one of the possibilities I had in mind, but I'm not sure either. Yeah, shame on me.
18 is indeed from Salammbo. I'll have to trust you on how much of the soundtrack comes from Dvorak, since, as I said previously, my musical culture is very limited, so I just repeat what I read on the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
10 and 19 sound like Mozart.
19 is much older, 10 is much more recent. (Of course, "much" is a very relative term.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
Could no. 10 be from Simon the Sorcerer 3D?

EDIT:
According the hints (and Google+wikipedia) 3 is Alone in the Dark.
No, 10 is from a much better (and, I thought, much more popular) game.
3 is indeed the original AitD. You have to play the Danse Macabre on an old gramophone to get a bunch of ghosts to start dancing and move out of your way. (I think the way the AdLib orchestration sounds just immediately screams "Infogrames"; but maybe that's just me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
#17 I recognized right away. It's from the disco in Leisure Suit Larry 1, when Larry dances with... Fawn, I think her name is. (The VGA remake, obviously.)

#14 is from Larry 3, but I wouldn't have been able to place it without the hint. And I admit I had to resort to youtube in order to find which of Patti's adventures it came from. It's when she climbs the rope over the chasm.
Both correct. (And yes, I think she's called Fawn.)

The list, now almost complete:

1. King's Quest I, Overture — Original: Greensleeves [diego]
2. ?????? — Original: L. van Beethoven, Für Elise [zobraks]
3. Alone in the Dark, The ballroom — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [Shany, HandsFree]
4. Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis, Under Buckingham Palace — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Dance Macabre [Shany, HandsFree]
5. Sam & Max Between Time and Space, Sam and Max's Hell wing — Original: Dies Iræ [Shany]
6. Curse of Monkey Island, Guybrush's death — Original: F. Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2, Funeral March [DustCropper]
7. Day of the Tentacle, Introduction — Original: G. Rossini, William Tell, Overture [Trunkyo]
8. Toonstruck, Town Centre — Original: G. Rossini, The Thieving Magpie, Overture [diego]
9. Loom, Loom island — Original: P. I. Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Pas de Trois Intrada [Luna Sevithiainen]
11. Shivers, ?????? — Original: ?????? [HandsFree]
12. The Last Express, Anna's concert — Original: C. Franck, Sonata for Violin and Piano in A Major [Fien]
13. ?????? — Original: Dies Iræ [Shany]
14. Leisure Suit Larry 3, Rope climbing — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries and ?????? [harald, Shany]
15. Faust, Episode 2 [?] — Original: F. Liszt, Mephisto Waltz [HandsFree]
16. ?????? — Original: J. S. Bach, Tocatta and Fugue in D minor [zobraks]
17. Leisure Suit Larry I, The Disco — Original: L. van Beethoven, Symphony No. 5, Allegro con brio [harald, zobraks]
18. Salammbo, ?????? — Original: A. Dvořák, New World Symphony, Allegro con fuoco [HandsFree, zobraks]
20. Full Throttle, Attack of the bunnies — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries [Trunkyo]

Wow! Almost done! (I can't believe nobody's figured out #13, though. It's such an important moment, in what can only be described as a classic.)

And don't forget I'm still waiting for someone to figure out where I got the numbers from — because that's certainly not my voice.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #523

I dare suggest # 13 is from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I think it's from when Indy reaches the innermost ring of Atlantis, in particular in correspondence of the the mural that shows how to arrange the stones for the final puzzle.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
I dare suggest # 13 is from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I think it's from when Indy reaches the innermost ring of Atlantis, in particular in correspondence of the the mural that shows how to arrange the stones for the final puzzle.
Not completely correct, but close enough: it plays inside the colossus, before you turn it on (why anyone might think it's a good idea to turn on a big scary machine while the Dies Irae is playing in the background is anyone's guess...).
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
why anyone might think it's a good idea to turn on a big scary machine while the Dies Irae is playing in the background is anyone's guess...
Hehe, good point. Speaking of which, may I inquire as to which Dies Irae we're talking about here? The only one I know is from Mozart's Requiem Mass, and. of course, it's not that one.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #526

Could #19 be from Versailles 1685?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
Hehe, good point. Speaking of which, may I inquire as to which Dies Irae we're talking about here? The only one I know is from Mozart's Requiem Mass, and. of course, it's not that one.
See one of my earlier posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Could #19 be from Versailles 1685?
Of course it is! Where else could that sort of music be from?

I'll be posting the answers in a few hours, so it's now or never if anyone wants to offer guesses for the last remaining extracts.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #528

#2 maybe Agon:The Lost Sword of Toledo, music box song?

#16 Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #529

Both wrong, sorry. (I'm afraid both are pretty hard...)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #530

The music from Shivers plays in the clocktower then?
Also found 10: Anitra's Dance from Peer Gynt by Grieg. A game that's better than Simon 3D... that isn't much help
Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
The music from Shivers plays in the clocktower then?
Also found 10: Anitra's Dance from Peer Gynt by Grieg. A game that's better than Simon 3D... that isn't much help
Both correct.

(And I've actually never played Simon 3D; maybe I'd love it!)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #532

And it's now time to end this. I prepared the medley without much consideration for difficulty (I was more concerned with just finding 20 different extracts to use), and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that almost everything has been identified — including the original classical pieces!

A few comments on some of the missing ones:
  • #2 was from Quest for Glory I; it's Otto's (that's the goon who works with the sheriff) music box. Only thieves get to find this item, which made that one all the more difficult to identify.
  • #10 was from Quest for Glory IV — a series which is obviously less popular than I thought... This one plays in the inn, which I thought would be far less difficult than the other QfG extract.
  • I like #14, because it manages to mix two different Wagner pieces together: the melody is a variation on the Ride of the Valkyries, but the strings are straight from Tannhäuser (at 2:30).
  • #16 was horribly hard, and I only decided to use it at the last minute. It's from the second Phoenix Wright; it plays during the introduction, in Phoenix's nightmare. Maybe the low quality of the sound might have tipped someone off...

And that's it! The completed list:

1. King's Quest I, Overture — Original: Greensleeves [diego]
2. Quest for Glory I, Otto's music box — Original: L. van Beethoven, Für Elise [zobraks]
3. Alone in the Dark, The ballroom — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre [Shany, HandsFree]
4. Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis, Under Buckingham Palace — Original: C. Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre [Shany, HandsFree]
5. Sam & Max Between Time and Space, Sam and Max's Hell wing — Original: Dies Iræ [Shany]
6. Curse of Monkey Island, Guybrush's death — Original: F. Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2, Funeral March [DustCropper]
7. Day of the Tentacle, Introduction — Original: G. Rossini, William Tell, Overture [Trunkyo]
8. Toonstruck, Town Centre — Original: G. Rossini, The Thieving Magpie, Overture [diego]
9. Loom, Loom island — Original: P. I. Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake, Pas de Trois Intrada [Luna Sevithiainen]
10. Quest for Glory IV, Hotel Mordavia — Original: E. Grieg, Peer Gynt, Anitra's Dance [HandsFree]
11. Shivers, The clock tower — Original: J. S. Bach, Cello Suite No. 5 in C minor [HandsFree]
12. The Last Express, Anna's concert — Original: C. Franck, Sonata for Violin and Piano in A Major [Fien]
13. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The colossus — Original: Dies Iræ [ZeframCochrane, Shany]
14. Leisure Suit Larry 3, Rope climbing — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries and Tannhäuser, Overture [harald, Shany]
15. Faust, Episode 2 [?] — Original: F. Liszt, Mephisto Waltz [HandsFree]
16. Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, Introduction — Original: J. S. Bach, Tocatta and Fugue in D minor [zobraks]
17. Leisure Suit Larry I, The Disco — Original: L. van Beethoven, Symphony No. 5, Allegro con brio [harald, zobraks]
18. Salammbo, Finale — Original: A. Dvořák, New World Symphony, Allegro con fuoco [HandsFree, zobraks]
19. Versailles 1685, Act IV Original: J.-B. Lully, Te Deum, Symphony [diego]
20. Full Throttle, Attack of the bunnies — Original: R. Wagner, The Valkyrie, Ride of the Valkyries [Trunkyo]

Thank you to all who played. I had a lot of fun preparing that one, scratching my head to come up with 20 tracks, and then doing some research to find where they came from. So I hope you enjoyed trying to identify them.

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 10-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #533

Great selection! I enjoyed searching.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #534
I changed my title

Thanks, Kurufinwe, that was a lot of fun. I always enjoy your music challenges.

I think Act IV of Versailles is the point where I got completely stuck in the game - when in the chapter does the music play?

Also - where are the numbers from?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
I think Act IV of Versailles is the point where I got completely stuck in the game - when in the chapter does the music play?
If I remember correctly (it's been years...), there's a piece of music for each act, which just keeps looping. So it doesn't play in any particular location, just during all act IV.

Quote:
Also - where are the numbers from?
Ah, good question! I was very proud of myself for thinking of a game where I could get all the numbers from 1 to 20. They're from Monkey Island 3. There's a clock in Puerto Pollo, and if you look at it, Guybrush will tell you what time it is (based on your computer time); so all the numbers from 1 to 20 (plus 30, 40 and 50) are in the game's data files, which is where I got them from. Actually, I'm surprised nobody recognised Dominic Armato's voice; then again, the sound bites are very short, and it's probably easier to recognise his voice when you already know it's him.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Actually, I'm surprised nobody recognised Dominic Armato's voice; then again, the sound bites are very short, and it's probably easier to recognise his voice when you already know it's him.
As a matter of fact, i thought of Dominic

First, I thought of that guy at the spinning wheel in Monkey 2, Special Edition, but when i loaded the scene he didn't sound right. Then i thought of Dominic and asked myself where and in what game could we have him saying numbers. The only place i've come up was obtaining winning numbers in related scene in alley, but he was only saying couple of numbers there.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #537
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

This was indeed an enjoyable challenge. Even though I couldn't remember just which games the pieces were used, I did recognize most of the music and some of the tweaked versions made me chuckle.

BTW, I just had to play Faust a.k.a. Seven Games of the Soul again, just to find where Mephisto Waltz played. It's at the end of Episode 4 (in the big library).
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
BTW, I just had to play Faust a.k.a. Seven Games of the Soul again, just to find where Mephisto Waltz played. It's at the end of Episode 4 (in the big library).
Wow, I would never have remembered that! Thank you for checking!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #539

I am awaiting the next challenge. I told myself to be at the start of this one, but I joined much too late. =(
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #540

Here's mix of 11 games to guess. You'll notice that this particular medley draws some heavy acoustic guitar and female singing inspiration.

There's also another twist to it - 1 song out there is NOT from the adventure game, although it has tight connections to the genre. Can you spot the intruder?

I don't think this one is easy, so stay tuned for some hints. Download the file here:

MediaFire 6MB

And the playlist:

1. 00:00
2: 00:34
3. 01:07
4. 01:43
5. 02:19
6. 03:01
7. 03:29
8. 04:04
9. 04:39
10. 05:18