You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The I LOVE LOOM thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 04:30 AM   #21
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Loom's graphics are nothing special imo, though the game is revolutionary. Kyrandia games are one of my favourites - the innovative touch to them was incredible.
What was innovative about Kyrandia?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 AM   #22
Dazed, not Confused

I absolutely love the game too, it was the first thing I bought off ebay and despite the fact it took me about 4 hours to complete it was a real defining moment gamewise for me, I just bought a boxed cd version with the hint book and decoder strips and all complete for 60 pounds which is about the equivalent of a family car in Australia, but worth every cent for me
Old 11-06-2003, 05:19 AM   #23
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas
I absolutely love the game too, it was the first thing I bought off ebay and despite the fact it took me about 4 hours to complete it was a real defining moment gamewise for me, I just bought a boxed cd version with the hint book and decoder strips and all complete for 60 pounds which is about the equivalent of a family car in Australia, but worth every cent for me
are you serious? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. But I guess you are since that would be ridiculous! what is 60 pounds worth? a car.. really?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:35 AM   #24
Dazed, not Confused

yeah sarcasm is kind of hard to convey on the internet without being blatantly obvious, but 60 pounds is umm 141.364 AUD and a car is what 40000 here so no not really, geez
Old 11-06-2003, 10:58 AM   #25
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Loom's graphics are nothing special imo
Oh yes they are. Very special. Both the graphics and the dialogue (finally I spelt that one right!) have some sort of "poetic" appeal that I've never found in any other game. It has some sense of beauty to it that has never since been equalled... It's the combination of everything - the close-ups, the dialogue... Impossible to explain if you haven't played it yourself, and probably way harder to understand if you first play it now instead of back in 1990...

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 11-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #26
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I agree with myhrik. Loom's graphics are obviously low-resolution, but in terms of their composition and overall style, I think they're very beautiful. The whole game, to me, has sort of a surreal quality that I've never really seen before. Most games, even ones with absurd-looking graphics such as Day of the Tentacle, still look "realistic", they're just realistic in terms of a skewed world. Loom, to me, looks otherworldly without even looking that different from our world. It's quite an achievement I think. It's also extremely well-written (in terms of plot and dialogue) which only adds to the effect.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #27
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrik
"poetic" appeal that I've never found in any other game.
That's a good way to describe the game isn't it? Poetic. The whole game is just poetic and musical and crunchy and gorgeous and fuzzy and wonderful!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:03 PM   #28
Excessively diverted

I *love* Loom! Especially the way that you get totally sucked into the story, and, of course, the musical elements. Brilliant.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #29
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Most games, even ones with absurd-looking graphics such as Day of the Tentacle, still look "realistic", they're just realistic in terms of a skewed world. Loom, to me, looks otherworldly without even looking that different from our world. It's quite an achievement I think. It's also extremely well-written (in terms of plot and dialogue) which only adds to the effect.
I can't quite put a finger on why the Loom fantasy setting feels so unique even though much of it mirrors real life scenery and locations. It's something about the lighting and the touch of mysteriousness of each screen.

Spoiler:
The dock is a good example with the lifeless craggy trees in the background and the ominous horizon. The dock itself is drawn at such a great angle too. The magical meadows, specifically the forest right before the sheep screen, are just composed the same way. It's all very "real" but the way the elements are put together are very "fantasy". Another good example is the mountain of "steps" that magically changes. Oh, and how the tent on the beach actually opens up into a huge cathedral where the Loom is. The whole game has this wonderful contrasting 'colors and form' thing going on.

It's like being on mushrooms and walking around the forest
Old 11-06-2003, 01:11 PM   #30
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Spoiler:
It's all very "real" but the way the elements are put together are very "fantasy".
Yep, that's exactly what I meant.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Oh, and how the tent on the beach actually opens up into a huge cathedral where the Loom is.
I love that! It's so seamless that it doesn't draw attention to itself, but it's an excellent touch.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #31

Default A few things I forgot to mention...

Being at work while typing my last post, you understand I was in a bit of a hurry...

I forgot to mention how I loved the Book of Patterns - never have I seen such meticulous attention to detail and setting the mood for a computer game.

One more thing: I live in Israel, so the version of Loom I bought was translated to hebrew. One of the first forays by anyone into translating games to hebrew (as far as I know), and by far - the BEST in my opinion.
The translation was incredible - the language and dialect used are kind of "old style" and very moody... They even translated the Book of Patterns, retaining the "old" feel to it, complete with the "old" page paper and font!!

Ah, Loom..... If only I could play again, for the first time... *sheds a tear*

And DANG, there are so many people who don't even KNOW the game exists! What they're missing...

And, yes, definitely "Poetic", that's a great description for the game. It also feels epic story-wise, and although the gameplay is quite short, you get to save the world in a spectacular - yet ambivalent way.
Did you notice this game hasn't an absolute "happy-ending"? How often is that done?? (hope I didn't spoil for anyone...)

BTW, I'm always on the lookout for Loom fan sites, online pages, etc. Anyone knows about something like that (besides "Loom Island" on MixnMojo)?

Last edited by Rusty; 11-06-2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #32
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
BTW, I'm always on the lookout for Loom fan sites, online pages, etc. Anyone knows about something like that (besides "Loom Island" on MixnMojo)?
That's the only site I've seen. And it's got some fun stuff on it.

Now is Rusty your real name and are you paying homage to Rusty Nailbender from Loom? I think that was his name...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Now is Rusty your real name and are you paying homage to Rusty Nailbender from Loom? I think that was his name...
Well, I wanted to nick myself "Bobbin", but that would have been TOO corny, don't you think? Still, it is a decent homage...

And no, it isn't my real name, in case you were REALLY wondering...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #34

Yes, this is a game I must play. Immediately.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:33 AM   #35
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Quote:
psst... I mentioned Kyrandia in the very first post. I am a big fan too. I finally got my hands on the box for Hand of Fate. The rare short-print run of the cover with Xanthia on the cover reaching up with the island behind her. It's a great box cover. You've seen it right?

Pulling this right back into Loom... can we just say GORGEOUS box. I've always loved the back of the box as well.

Are you talking about thise cover?

I tried to make an avatar from it , but because she looks up it wan't 2 good.
Never saw the Loom box though.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:57 AM   #36
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
Are you talking about thise cover?

I tried to make an avatar from it , but because she looks up it wan't 2 good.
Never saw the Loom box though.
Exactly! I think that box is just gorgeous. actually all 3 original release Kyrandia boxes are great. Plus, they're those big bulky boxes which I like. Rick Parks was one of my favourite artists. He defined the look of many early Westwood games... especially the Kyrandia games. Sadly, he passed away some time ago.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #37
rock star

Yeah, he was indeed great!!!

Rembember the look of Kyrandia 1 + 2, plus Lands of Lore 1... Those graphics have a very special look!! They make you just want to immerse yourself in the world! Really! Too sad he passed away...

That box is awesome by the way. It looks way cooler than the Hand of Fate box I've seen in stores...

Old 11-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #38
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrik
Yeah, he was indeed great!!!

Rembember the look of Kyrandia 1 + 2, plus Lands of Lore 1... Those graphics have a very special look!! They make you just want to immerse yourself in the world! Really! Too sad he passed away...

That box is awesome by the way. It looks way cooler than the Hand of Fate box I've seen in stores...
wasn't he? Just an amazing artist. He was very inspirational.

Here's the box for Kyrandia 3... really really wicked in a dark way

and the Kyrandia 2 box larger
Old 11-07-2003, 05:53 AM   #39
Jumping peanut on a stick

Oh yeah, there are very few games out there that are so special as Loom. I don't know if it is music, gameplay or story (or all of them combined), but this game has "magic" written all over it. Two other games that touched me in similar way (but not the same) were ICO and Neverhood.

Magic.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM   #40
rock star

Now look what you made me do.

I managed to devote almost my whole day searching for info on what is said in the murky corners of the internet to be the best version of Loom out there - the rare, RARE FMtowns version!!! I downloaded a trailer from the ScummVM site, and it uses the 256 graphics of the CD-ROM version, BUT I also seem to remember reading on some Loom site a while ago about this version... And I think the close-ups were indeed there!! And the music sounds great! No speech, though. But that probably means the dialogue remains identical to the 16-colour version as well. Or am I confusing two different versions here?

Anyway, if you've got LOTS of money, you may sometimes find it at eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

At the same time I downloaded the trailer to the FMtowns version of Zak McKracken (256 colours!)... and that music sounds waaay better than I would dare to imagine - it's a lot better than even a lot of wavetable MIDI cards.

I only wish I could get my hands on one of those FMtowns releases, and wait for their full support in ScummVM.

Sorry for potentially corrupting the thread. I just happen to find this veeery interesting!