You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The I LOVE LOOM thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 03:08 AM   #81
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
[Edit: If you look at the Japanese desktop screenshot, you will see that six of the ten icons involve Loom in some way. I wonder if this is representative of how the Japanese took to Loom? I would love to see some Japanese comments on this. Er - maybe translated into English...]
Three of the icons are the English version and three are the Japanese version of the FM Towns game. There are three of each for the three difficulty levels - the choice wasn't made from an in-game menu at the start, but rather by different icons.

I've talked about this endlessly before, but the FM Towns version is perhaps the greatest version of Loom - that is, if you prefer having the original long disk version dialogues to shorter lines spoken by actors. Plus the digital music plays for a lot longer than in the talkie CD - and the character closeups are included in gameplay.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 AM   #82
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Three of the icons are the English version and three are the Japanese version of the FM Towns game. There are three of each for the three difficulty levels - the choice wasn't made from an in-game menu at the start, but rather by different icons.

I've talked about this endlessly before, but the FM Towns version is perhaps the greatest version of Loom - that is, if you prefer having the original long disk version dialogues to shorter lines spoken by actors. Plus the digital music plays for a lot longer than in the talkie CD - and the character closeups are included in gameplay.

That's the one thing I really missed in the VGA version...

Oh, and I prefer the EGA version of the Shore of Wonder - so sparkly and dark blue...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:02 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Please! You are making me drool on my keyboard.

My dream is to one day find a copy of the FM Towns version... I got the VGA Talkie version already.

-
Hey Jazzy, I got a copy of the FMTowns version! True, not an entirely..ahem..legal one, but where can you find a legal FMTowns copy of ANYTHING today?? If I knew, I would pay for it gladly. It is worth it, believe me!

Anyways, a few years ago I searched AudioGalaxy, and found a progressive version of a Loom theme, without speech. Seeing as the official "talkie" version included music and speech on the same track, I couldn't see it coming from this version. So where did this speech-less music bit came from? The mystery was finally solved when I got my hands on the FMTowns version.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
Hey Jazzy, I got a copy of the FMTowns version! True, not an entirely..ahem..legal one, but where can you find a legal FMTowns copy of ANYTHING today?? If I knew, I would pay for it gladly. It is worth it, believe me!

Anyways, a few years ago I searched AudioGalaxy, and found a progressive version of a Loom theme, without speech. Seeing as the official "talkie" version included music and speech on the same track, I couldn't see it coming from this version. So where did this speech-less music bit came from? The mystery was finally solved when I got my hands on the FMTowns version.
I envy you, Rusty. I have to admit, I used to have an illegal copy of the VGA version, etc. Well, not really that illegal - a friend had sent it to me, because I had no success with converting my EGA version to VGA via the upgrade. And the copy I got was also just a copy of an upgraded EGA version.

And now I have the VGA Talkie version CD anyways.

By the way, are you the same Rusty from the official TLJ forums?

-

Old 04-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #85

The Lord Brian hath come down to visit me, and said:

"Jessica. Thou shalt make Wallpaperth telling of my word."

And so I made these wallpapers, and I saw, that they were good.

-

Old 12-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #86
Adventurer

Yes, Loom is definately the best adventure released.
And the FM-Towns version is definately the best version of it .
Pitty the sequels were never completed... I used to dream about what would the sequel be like back in 1993.
Nice artwork jazhara7 with the BrainGod image. I loved it!

Maverick
Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickGR
Nice artwork jazhara7 with the BrainGod image. I loved it!

Thank you! It was fun making that image.

-

Old 12-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #88
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Moriarty's version of The Dig is where it's at .

Loom's a good'un, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #89
Adventurer

Here is something interesting I found while browsing:

A-T: "I'm sure you've played the LucasArts adventures. Now be honest: did you like them? What was your favorite?"

Ken: "I did play those, and thought they were at least as good as ours. I think we out-marketed LucasArts. My favourite was Loom. I thought it was an incredible product. I wanted to buy the rights from them to do a sequel, but never did."

It's from an interview with Ken Williams.
link: http://www.adventure-treff.de/artike...williams_e.php

Can you imagine having a Loom 2 by Sierra?

Maverick
Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #90

Wow. I can't really imagine what that would have been...

Nice piece of info though.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 AM   #91
Chris Barraclough

Yet another adventure I haven't played. But from the glowing reviews you've all given it I'm intrigued, I'll have to try and find a copy.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #92
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Yet another adventure I haven't played. But from the glowing reviews you've all given it I'm intrigued, I'll have to try and find a copy.
Good luck, it isn't very easy to find. The CD of the VGA-talkie version is usually sold by itself on ebay so you can try there. Not as often it is sold with the book of patterns. A complete CD-ROM VGA-talkie boxed-version contains a Loom manual, a quck ref card, the Book of Patterns, the Game Disc and the Audio Drama Disc. This, complete version, is extremely hard to find. You can download the Audio Drama in ogg format from:
http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/
as two ogg files.
The FM Towns version, which is the best version of Loom because the VGA-Talkie one is a 'cut' version, is almost impossible to find. I got a mint boxed-copy for 250 euros and I consider myself extremely lucky(and it wasn't on ebay).

Good luck.

Anyone interested can check
http://www.markferrari.com
It has some nice artwork by Mark Ferrari , the artists who illustrated Loom (remember him in the ending credits?)

Maverick
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #93
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickGR
The FM Towns version, which is the best version of Loom because the VGA-Talkie one is a 'cut' version, is almost impossible to find. I got a mint boxed-copy for 250 euros and I consider myself extremely lucky(and it wasn't on ebay).

Good luck.

Maverick
Woah, don't think I'll be looking for that version then! Cheers for the advice, I'll have a browse on ebay when I finish Still Life.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk