You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Paintings that strike a chord

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
What's this thing with people and their obsession with tattooes. What if you are 50 and you feel like hmph I don't want it anymore. You have to go through the same pain again.
[off topic]
I love love love my tattoos, and I'm going to love them just as much when I'm 50.

There may be people who regret it at some point, but I'm not one of them.
[/off topic]

-emily

ps Getting a tattoo is really not as painful as everyone makes it sound.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:52 AM   #22

And here's my favorite painting:

The Storm by Pierre-Auguste Cot. Every time I see the piece, I'm reminded of how romantic and sensual youth and innocence can be. I can stare at it for hours without getting tired of it. I actually had a poster that's exactly like the one above on my bedroom wall, right at a place where I can see it when I get up from the bed until my girlfriend forced me to take it down. She thought it was crowding us, whatever that meant.

Fortunately, it's a part of the permanent collection at the Met, so I get to see it in person at least a few time a year. You need to see it in person to really appreciate it. It's more than 2 meters tall and when you look at it, it feels so real that the boy and the girl would jump right out of the painting and run by you. I actually often fantasize about how wonderful it would be if it actually happened.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #23
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Music can only represent itself, and that's why I like it better.
That's not true at all!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #24
Doctor Watson

Anything Igor Stravinsky says is true to me.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #25
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Oh, those wacky modernists. You can't trust them as far as you can throw them. Rothko said he wasn't an abstract artist, and just look at this:

Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
And I can see where he's coming from. I haven't yet found a painting that's actually made me cry (except for my own woeful attempts)...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #27
Doctor Watson

Old 12-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And I can see where he's coming from. I haven't yet found a painting that's actually made me cry (except for my own woeful attempts)...
What's that have to do with it?

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Yeah, but that's just his view of music, it's like a manifesto or something. It doesn't actually apply to other musicians, not even the ones in the tradition he was supposedly continuing.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:59 AM   #30
Doctor Watson

I just happen to agree with him.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Music can only represent itself, and that's why I like it better.
This is not always true. Especially in the case of program music. Program music is intended to represent, or accompany, an extra-musical theme. For example, in Four Seasons, Vivaldi composed the music to illustrate external events that are not inherent to the music itself. He even wrote sonnets illustrating what the each of the four pieces of music represents, which as we know, is the four seasons of the year.

Last edited by gillyruless; 12-15-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #32

Quote:
I just happen to agree with him.
But how can you say that? What about stuff like Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev? And what about lyrics? Do vocals not count as music?

EDIT: Yeah, and also what Gilly said, and a million other examples.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #33
merely human

Mucus? WTF you talking about, Chris?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #34
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
But how can you say that? What about stuff like Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev? And what about lyrics? Do vocals not count as music?
Yes, I know all that. I just thought about that yesterday. But otherwise.

And The Mars Volta is awesome.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #35
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
This is not always true. Especially in the case of program music. Program music is intended to represent, or accompany, an extra-musical theme. For example, in Four Seasons, Vivaldi composed the music to illustrate external events that are not inherent to the music itself. He even wrote sonnets illustrating what the each of the four pieces of music represents, which as we know, is the four seasons of the year.
To me it doesn't matter that much what something is MEANT to represent. Four Seasons doesn't really remind me of anything seasons-related...
Old 12-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #36

Quote:
To me it doesn't matter that much what something is MEANT to represent. Four Seasons doesn't really remind me of anything seasons-related...
Of course, you could always just describe non-vocal music as "abstract", and it's pretty analagous to visual art. There are painting which clearly depict something (and music in which someone clearly sings about something), and art which is more impressionistic and might be something different to everyone (and music which might be representing something specific but which can represent different things to different people).

And yes, the Mars Volta is excellent. I saw them live a couple months ago and it was ridiculous.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #37

Quote:
I guess that might be true in your and Stravinsky's case but other people including me would disagree. Richard Strauss claimed that he composed the music of Don Juan in such a way that sensitive listeners should be able to tell even the hair color of Don Juan's lovers.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #38
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
This thread reminds me of those psychological tests in Tender Loving Care.

Since you asked, I just love the Aleistair Crowley tarot deck, painted by Lady Frieda Harris. In fact, I love the paintings enough to have had some of them tattooed on my body.

-emily
I am sorry to say this, but this is hauntingly familiar. Isn't that the way the Whore Babylon is usually depicted? A woman on a multiple headed monster?
I don't mean to insult you, and the painting is really beautiful. I am just curious.

Here are two of my favourite paintings. I have seen both at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice (I bought a postcard of the first one, because they had no posters of it, and a poster of the second one)

The Break of Day - by Paul Delvaux <<<<this is just beautiful, and mysterious at the same time.

The Solidity of Fog - by Luigi Russolo <<<I adore that dark blue...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #39
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Richard Strauss claimed that he composed the music of Don Juan in such a way that sensitive listeners should be able to tell even the hair color of Don Juan's lovers.
You got to be kidding me.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I am sorry to say this, but this is hauntingly familiar. Isn't that the way the Whore Babylon is usually depicted? A woman on a multiple headed monster?
There was a Whore of Babylon?

I don't know if this is supposed to be similar, but she is Lust / Strength - I take it to mean that she's liberated and she has reined in that big beast. The beauty of tarot is that every card has both good and bad characteristics - so sure, someone who is sure of herself and sexually liberated could also be a whore. It's a yin / yang thing.

And I just like the picture.

-emily