You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Paintings that strike a chord

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin
Default Paintings that strike a chord

So this thread is about paintings that we've seen that have touched us in some way. There's no requirement for reproducing the image of the painting here. Only a description is wanted, of why a particular painting strikes a chord with you.

I chose Piero della Francesca's Madonna del parto, which resides in Monterchi, Italy.

I find the painting to be interesting because it shows Mary clearly pregnant, something I haven't seen too often. Her expression is also somewhat of an enigma. What is Mary thinking? It seems to me that she is unaware of the angels that have thrown back the curtain on her life. Here, she is caught in a private moment, musing about the person she carries within her and her part in the ensuing divine event. She touches her stomach, her eyes cast downward. Beautiful.

Another couple reasons I like the painting are that it has a part to play in Tarkovsky's Nostalghia, an incredible film that I watched a couple times last weekend.

It also has a christmas theme, at least for me! Pregnant Mary means baby Jesus is coming soon! Where dat baby Jesus? Der he is!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
Curiouser and curiouser

Hey Terabin,

Interesting thread! I love the painting you chose. You are right about the inwardness of Mary. To keep with the Christmas theme, I would choose this painting of the Annunciation from the National Gallery in London. I have seen a lot of Annunciations but there are very few where the angel looks as amazed and humbled by the event as Mary does. It's probably hard to tell from this reproduction:

There are too many paintings from the National Gallery to pick (I used to spend whole days there when I lived in London) so I'll just put in one more--this painting of a tailor by Moroni (which to blend high and low culture makes a surprise appearance in the Fran Drescher film "The Beautician and the Beast," which my old roommate made me watch with her and which was actually kinda funny), because it looks JUST like a friend of the family who is Italian. Weird.

That's one impressive pair of scissors!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
jaf
big, hairy and blue

I love Joe Sorren, look at those eyes...

Old 12-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Hopper, Nighthawks

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I really like the painting "Pinkelnder Tod" by (I think) Max Klinger). The title of the painting kind of describes it - translated into english it would be "Peeing Death".

It shows a skeleton (I think his scythe is also there), standing in a landscape with its back to the viewer, peeing (don't ask me with what it is peeing )

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor

Hopper, Nighthawks
Me likes Hopper .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
pain is love

Persistence of Memory, Dali

First time I've seen this was in a cartoon when I was a little kid, and I was truly fascinated. Then I discovered the rest af his work. And although this isn't my favourite one, it's the one that brought my attention to Dali and abstract art in general.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 12-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I like most Dali paintings. I went to an exhibition of Dali once - the sketches and suchlike were okay, but the paintings were stunning.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

This thread reminds me of those psychological tests in Tender Loving Care.

Since you asked, I just love the Aleistair Crowley tarot deck, painted by Lady Frieda Harris. In fact, I love the paintings enough to have had some of them tattooed on my body.

-emily
Old 12-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #10

This drawing usually gets me pretty sad. There's a colored version, but that seems to not be available right now.

I like this illustration because it expresses the same feelings as my own on vengeance.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

OO, these are great. Keep 'em coming, if just to add to our little gallery that we have going here. What a splendid variety of tastes.

I bet someone would be hard up to find one painting that would accurately represent the tastes of the average adventure gamer.

Hmm, so far we have pregnant and naked women, scissors, droopy clocks, sparsely-filled cafes, mourning pointy-eared people, and pale-faced movie goers with eyes words cannot express.

Here's that Dali painting recommended by mr. mitja, The Persistence of Memory

Old 12-15-2004, 01:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Hopper, Nighthawks
Wow.

This thread is good. If only I weren't at work right now ...
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Since you asked, I just love the Aleistair Crowley tarot deck, painted by Lady Frieda Harris. In fact, I love the paintings enough to have had some of them tattooed on my body.
Is there a place of your body that's not tattooed? (and what about the pictures?)
Old 12-15-2004, 04:08 AM   #14

Dante Gabriel Rossetti's later work... can't really pick any specific painting as my favourite but here's a few:

I guess I just really like his very distinctive style of painting.

Also, more recently:

http://www.goodbrush.com/

http://www.furiae.com/
Old 12-15-2004, 05:41 AM   #15
Doctor Watson

by Kingzjester

...Actually, I don't understand visual arts. Music can only represent itself, and that's why I like it better.

Last edited by deadworm222; 12-15-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:43 AM   #16
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

That's brilliant.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 AM   #17

I don't really know much about art, and it is seldom that paintings "do anything" for me, but this one, by Edvard Much, is one that's stuck to my mind.

It's called Sick Child, and the kid in the bed is terminally ill. Despite being weakened by the disease, she seems strong in her heart and it seems like she is trying to comfort her mother, who is obviously heartbroken. It's just a very tragic and emotional scene. There's more versions of this painting, and I think there is another one which I find just as haunting, but I haven't been able to find it. Here's the site where I found the image I'm linking to: www.edvard-munch.com
Old 12-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #18
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
...Actually, I don't understand visual arts. Music can only represent itself, and that's why I like it better.
Same here. Kingzie's version r0cks though. 8-)
Old 12-15-2004, 09:28 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Is there a place of your body that's not tattooed? (and what about the pictures?)
Of course... I didn't say I got the whole deck tattooed (and I couldn't afford it, anyway!)

Here's the one from the painting above: lust

-emily
Old 12-15-2004, 09:36 AM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Of course... I didn't say I got the whole deck tattooed (and I couldn't afford it, anyway!)

Here's the one from the painting above: lust

-emily
What's this thing with people and their obsession with tattooes. What if you are 50 and you feel like hmph I don't want it anymore. You have to go through the same pain again.

Firefox rules