You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #1

Default Penumbra Overture

I've just started playing this great game but am having problems

Spoiler:
When you have to barricade yourself in the room with the already lit lanterns (i havnt had a chance to see what else there is) i push the barrels up against the door and shove rocks on top of them. However when the dog comes he stills gets through, and apprently im terrible at the combat system, so i just end up dead

Can anyone help?

Also is there any chance of a walkthrough yet?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #2

Spoiler:
As I have the memory of fish nowadays, I don't remember whether I got the pickaxe or not before coming to the same situation as you. Anyway, there are three options.
1. Run and enter a door (Where loading occurs) or anywhere as dogs give up after some time.
2. Jump onto a crate, crouch, equip you hammer or pickaxe and time your hit to the dog's attack. It takes 3-4 direct hits to kill them and you have to be higher than the beast (i.e. being on top of a crate).
3. Hide. Turn of the flashlight or that glowing thingy and crouch. This worked for the first dog I encountered, but I never used it again. Getting rid of them, once and for all, is better. :=)

Dogs and a few more action elements make the game less appealing (I hate action games), but so far I like the game overall. The only problem is I started in the broad daylight and I am not afraid enough. This game should absolutely be be played at night.

One more show stopper, this game is very resource hungry because of the Physics simulation and it takes 5 minutes to start the game in my prehistoric computer. (AMD 2200+, 9800 Pro, 1 GB Ram... etc) At least frame rates and playability is satisfactory.

Sorry for whining about the game in your hint topic.

All in all, kudos to Frictional Games staff....
Old 04-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #3

Now I am stuck at a somewhat action oriented place. Any help is very appreciated.
Spoiler:
After passing the refinery room and rock cruncher, there is a grid of steamy squares on the floor. There is probably a pattern, but I fail to get it. Has anyone reached the same part?

Cheers...

Edit: Part passed.
Spoiler:
...with two well timed running jumps and a little damage to health.

Last edited by Emre; 04-02-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Saulo Benigno

No walkthrough yet ?
I just found the walkthrough for the DEMO (Technology one).

Too bad.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulob View Post
No walkthrough yet ?
I just found the walkthrough for the DEMO (Technology one).

Too bad.
Come on, it is too early for a walkthrough. If you are stuck in a place I have passed, post here and I will try to help.

Also, one more thing about dogs;
Spoiler:
In later parts of the game, there aren't any crates to jump onto. So, player is left to sneak or find more creative ways to distract the creatures. i.e. throw an object and they go away to look for it.

Still, I like the game a lot, despite I am stuck again surrounded by dogs.

Cheers...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #6

Any ideas how to get over the electric fence?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
Any ideas how to get over the electric fence?
Hint:
Spoiler:
There are things nearby that you can manipulate to obtain a way "over" the fence.

Clear answer:
Spoiler:
There are three barrels in the opposite corridor. Crush them with your pickaxe and you will have three wooden planks. Carry them over to the fence and put them onto the it with a proper incline; thus you can walk over it.

Cheers...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #8

can anyone help me with just getting through the trapped door you all seemed to pretty much master it thanks
penumbra overture
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neena394258 View Post
can anyone help me with just getting through the trapped door you all seemed to pretty much master it thanks
penumbra overture
Where was it exactly? It has been too long and I am an old fart.