View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
heymonkey
Primate

Default Compatibility Mode

Well, last night, searching the help files for Compatibility Mode didn't turn up much. Bad Mojo still not running and no response from tech support. I wish more places would at least send an automated response assuring me that my email was received and the issue would be looked into... In any case, searching the 'net today, I came across the following which has brought me hope that I'll be playing tonight

"It is reasonably well known that Windows XP has a compatibility mode that can be used for software that will not run in its native mode. The application runs just as it would on another chosen Windows platform. Any shortcut to an application, whether it is on the start menu, the desktop or elsewhere can be used to gain access to this feature.

To use it:

Right click the shortcut to the application.
Click properties.
Click the compatibility tab.
Check the Run in compatibility mode checkbox.
From the dropdown list, select the operating system that you want to run this application under.

Note: This will only work if you right-click on a shortcut to an application such as you find on the start menu or that applications put onto the desktop when they are installed. It will not work if you right-click on the application itself.

Unfortunately it seems this this was not an option in Windows 2000 as it was shipped.
However it has been available as an option if you have installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher. It was not enabled by default on Service Pack 2, systems that are subsequently upgraded to Service Pack 3 may well already have this enabled, but some systems that are clean installed to Service Pack 3 may well to have a dll file registered to make it work.

If you are running Windows 2000 with service pack 2 or higher and this option isn't working, you can enable it as follows:

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type CMD.
In the command prompt window that opens, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\AppPatch\slayerui.dll.

You will receive a message that the DLL has been successfully registered. The compatibility mode option is now available for use.
Now right click the shortcut and click properties on the context menu."

Just wanted to share in case anyone else (Win 2k users) could benefit from this...