You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Translating games (Still Life, Runaway 1, Broken Sword 3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Saulo Benigno

Default Translating games (Still Life, Runaway 1, Broken Sword 3)

Translating games (Still Life, Runaway 1, Broken Sword 3)

Hello people, dunno if this is the right area,
but there we go...

I'm trying to open the "text" files on all these games for a translation group ( http://www.scummbr.kit.net/ , Brazilian Pt-BR). This is not official, just a fan thing.

Right now, i'm stuck in three games. I mean, dunno how to check the files and what files are for the 'subtitles' (we only translate the text, not voices).

The games:

- Still Life

On this one, there's a folder called 'Dialogs' (Inside the 'Reference' folder) with 35 of .dlg files. (112kb)
I tried to open these files, but no luck. Does anyone known how to 'edit' or 'open' this type of file ?

- Runway: Road Adventure

There are three folders on this one:

Dataa - 7 files with these extensions: .000 - 265mb in space (total)
Datav - 71 files, .001 and .002 - 278mb
Resource - 91 files, various unknown extensions - 1,37gb

Ok, I think the 'Dataa' folder is for Audio (a) and 'Datav' for Video (v).

So, there's the 'Resource' folders with a lot of unknown files, I put 4 files here (4,16mb):
http://savefile.com/files/495497

If anyone known how to read these files or extract the 'inside' files...

- Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon

There's one big file on the first folder called 'data.pak' (715mb), but I just don't know how to open it. Or extract the files from it.

If anyone known how to do it... please.. helpme out...

Thanks

That's it people.. thank you very much.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

For Still Life try GameExtractor, it is said to be Still Life compatible, maybe it can open .dlg files as well.

The Runaway files look either encrypted, or some odd file formats with their headers cut off. No easy way to open those, I'm afraid.

For Broken Sword, try this (taken from a Russian site, from a patch for a crack for the game). Don't blame me if it blows up your PC.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Saulo Benigno

kuze, thank you very much.

Gonna check the GameExtractor with 'Still Life'.

The BS3 tool is amazing, got it to extract all the files.

It's easy, found a lot of .txt files (85), edited some and tried to include it again... the tool can do that. But... nothing change on the game.

Does anyone know how this tool works ? how can I add the files again ?

According to the program:

"
Usage: paktool.exe [option] arc_file extract_path
Option:
/e - expand files
/p - group files
"

I do that... it appears that is doing something. All fine. When I play, no line is changed

Tks.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
In an evening of July...

Apparently, you have to put the extracted and modified files into the same folder this paktool is located and launch it like this: "paktool.exe \p c:/games/brokensword3".
Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Saulo Benigno

kuze, did that.
with all files.

and funny thing is, the game still not changed, but the file (data.pak) changed.

it just double the size.. now its 1,21gb. Like it get all the files and put inside. not changing only the edited ones.

<- this appear to be a angry face... it's just a sad one -> "):"

Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
In an evening of July...

So, let's see;
From the Russian readme:
"Copy all files from this archive into the game directory (the archive contains paktool.exe an some .dat files, eg 2D7891F9.dat - just regular PNGs and such with a .dat extension).
Launch paktool.exe like this:
paktool.exe /p data.pak *****

where ****** - path to game folder, like
paktool.exe /p data.pak cgames\bsword3\
The data.pak will be modified as a result."

Also, try moving data.pak, replacing it with the extracted files. Some games do look for extracted files first before trying to unpack the archive.
Without having the archive itself I'm afraid I can't help you.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Saulo Benigno

kuze thanks for the help.

But, yes, it appears to be easy... I did all that you told me... but no luck.

I just found out that the paktool.exe file works on the Broken Sword 3 Demo... It has a 'data.pak' file inside... smaller.. and faster to edit.

Can you try ? please ?

Where to download the demo ? here:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_4439.shtml

Only 241mb...

Extracting the files are easy...

'paktool /e data.pak anyfolder'

The program will create a subfolder on the folder you're... and put all the files inside. Done that. Fine.

Look for the txt files... just edit the ones from the first lines on the game, for testing (the files are unicode text). And try to include on the 'data.pak' again. That's my problem.

If you leave the txt files on the same folder and do:

'paktool /p data.pak anyfolder'

The 'data.pak' will double the size, the program will ADD all the files, not replace them. If you try with another name, just for create a pak file, it doesn't work... or maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Well, that's it.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
In an evening of July...

Looked into it. Haven't launched the game (my video card is broken), but the tool seems to be working fine. You just have to add the files you modified instead of all the previously extracted files. The tool is kind of dumb as the archive format is very simple - it just appends the modified file to the already existing data.pak and modifies the offsetpointer to that file inside the archive - which should work just fine as I dont see any checksums inside. This is why your data.pak doubled in size - you appended its contents to itself, which probably broke the tool and/or the archive.

Do it like this: create a new folder "pak", place the paktool.exe and the modified files (only those, not all of them!) you extracted from the data.pak. Also, place the data.pak inside that directory. Run the paktool: "paktool.exe /p data.pak <path to your pak folder>". Now the data.pak in that folder is modified. Move it back to your BS3 folder and run the game - it should work.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Cool!

Unfortunately, piracy has killed brazilian adventure game market and development base.

Adventure games MUST be translated to be enjoyable, but with piracy no company wants to invest in releasing Portuguese translated games in Brazil.

Good luck! Boa sorte no projeto!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Saulo Benigno

kuze, thanks for the check in.
Just one question,

When you say:
"
Run the paktool: "paktool.exe /p data.pak <path to your pak folder>"
"

The "path" is that new patch ('pak') or the old one ?
I did that with the new one (like paktool.exe /p data.pak pak)

The files appears to change (the modified date on windows is changed) but no game change at all. The text I change it's the old one... the original one.

Too bad you video card isn't working, can't you try just the game menu ?
I mean, check this file: 68D8856C.txt , it's all the menu text, try to change some of these texts, like the line 23/22 NEW GAME. It's just the menu. So you can try it... please................

Nautilus,
thanks

I hope we can get it.... it's nice to get some help.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #11
In an evening of July...

I traced the source of your problem; this tool tries to be helpful and renames some .dat files to .txt after extracting them. You can't inject .txt files though, so you have to rename them back to .dat - the changes then appear in the game (yes, I tried).

So, let's suppose you have extracted this "68.....txt". Rename it to "68....dat", create a new folder "C: \pak", place paktool.exe, data.pak and this 68...dat inside and then run paktool from within this directory: "paktool /p data.pak ." (with the dot).
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Saulo Benigno

kuze, no way , no way , no WAY!!
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!

thank you very muchhhhhhhhhhhhh.. THANK YOU ! WORKED !

man, thanks thanks... your name, you be on the 'thanks' on the translation job.

Edit:
Ok, Broken Sword 3 is done, now (I'm they are translating)... Still Life or Runaway 1.

Gonna try GameExtractor with Still Life, thanks kuze.

Last edited by saulob; 02-21-2007 at 01:47 PM.