You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Your opinions

Every month many of our readers download adventure games directly from the Adventure Shop service. People seem to really enjoy the increasing selection of the back catalog titles, but we've also noticed that Adventure Shop is becoming a popular way to acquire new adventure games (games like A Vampyre and now Ceville).

We set up this forum to try and help anyone who runs into problems, but fortunately the vast majority of Adventure Shop customers are able to download and install the games they want without a hitch.

Have you had a positive experience with the Adventure Shop service? Perhaps you'd consider sharing your experiences in this thread. We'd like to give an accurate impression of Adventure Shop (especially to those who are still on the fence about buying and downloading a game on the internet), and it will generally help Adventure Shop serve customers better in the future.

If you have downloaded from Adventure Shop before, I hope you'll take a moment to give us your opinion by posting in this thread! We're interested in hearing your feedback, both good and bad.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Caffein Queen

Well, I have purchased more than 8 games from them and never had any trouble with downloading or activating the games

Also, they are always helpful with any question we have - either here on the forum (and other forums) or from their support.

The only thing I haven't gotten sorted out yet, is that after they redid the design, I still can't see my past purchases - although, they were kind enough to resend emails from ALL of them - which I of course made sure to save

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Banned User

Well I haven't bought anything yet but I did notice that the prices are really high, and you don't accept Visa Electron cards (verified by visa), if I'm not mistaken. I normally use GamersGate as their prices are very affordable (14 bucks for Still Life, 19,90 for Overclocked etc).
Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #4

I recently downloaded Runaway: A Road Adventure. I usually shop in person at stores to get games, but I couldn't find that title anywhere, so I ended up buying it from here.

I downloaded the game without problems and everything ran smoothly. Thanks!

A pretty decent game by the way. If only it had more than just pixel hunts and inventory puzzles I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. I set out determined to beat the game without any help, but by the last chapter I was running out of patience, after just five minutes of not knowing what to do I'd pull up the walkthrough. Overall I liked the game enough I'll probably play the second one sometime, and when I do I'll be sure to get it here.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Adventure Shop

Hi Puzzler,

Thank you for you rnice words about our service.
I played both Runaway.

I definitively prefer the second episode.

Give it a try if you have time.

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #6

I have buy some games and so far doesn't have any problem. So definitely is a good source to download games.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #7

Playing the second one now. Once again, downloaded fine without any problems.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Adventure Shop

Puzzler,

The second one is by far better.
Have you seen the recent screenshots of the 3rd episode posted yesterday?

It looks even better.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
Puzzler,

The second one is by far better.
Have you seen the recent screenshots of the 3rd episode posted yesterday?

It looks even better.
Yes, I did see them. They look great.

I see a lot of games coming out that I look forward to playing. The lineup for this year's adventure releases brings a lot of excitement to the genre. Hopefully most of them will become available here, and hopefully they will be as good as they look.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Jen

I have downloaded two games from the Adventure Shop, Ceville and A Vampyre Story. Ceville would not run at first, so I emailed support. They got back to me within 48 hours, and their suggestion worked perfectly (which was to update the Microsoft .NET framework). I think it's a great way to buy games and will definitely use the service again in the future.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

I have downloaded a few games and never had any problems until Ceville, it doesn't work properly and i can't get a response from customer support, i usually buy all my games from the adventure shop as it is easy and everything usually goes well. I hope i get a response soon.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Adventure Shop

Hello Newgamer2,

As I posted to this forum last week, we enountered several issues with our email provider, but everything is now running smoothly.

Could you please send me a copy of the email you've sent to the technical support?
It would be helpful to get your details and find out what is happening on both sides.

Damon
Old 11-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #13

the response seems very positive. I shall look forward to buying my games from Adventure Shop. I played The Curse of Monkey Island last year or 2 years ago and I'm glad I can find more games like that!

Last edited by glenbeckles; 11-11-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #14

I purchased the game there for the sole purpose of playing it right away especially when I read this.

"Immediately receive a serial number and personal download links via e-mail"

I downloaded the game but can't play it for lack of a serial number. They failed to send me one and my email to them went unanswered. Tommorrow I will contact my credit card company and put a stop on payment.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Why do the download instruction say you should have a download manager? Not really thinking, I thought you actually needed it to download the files, used it, downloaded all the files with it (except the first that didn't even work) and now I need to download them all again because the program doesn't apparently even function properly. It says I have downloaded the files but they aren't anywhere (although I'm sure they've taken the space anyways). Sure, afterwards I understand that the " a quicker and safer download, we recommend to do as follows" means that it's just advertising the program, but you'd think that it would be said clearly, these are the instructions after all.

(Edit): Well, eventually I did actually find the files, I'm still not sure where they were though (of course I didn't start by using search, then again, the "locate file" always went to the folder they were supposed to be but weren't), but I had already downloaded them manually too.

Last edited by UPtimist; 11-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #16

I'll just add my experience here for now.

The purchase and download
Cant say anything negative about this, I made a account, added my game, used Visa to pay and downloaded the game, all in less then 40minutes
Got a Email fairly quick with the confirmation of my order and tought, nice just wait abit and it's gonna be installed.

The problems
After installation I started the game and the activate dialog comes up, right check the mail for serial number, but sadly no number there, so read the whole mail and check my account.
After clicking the resend option and waiting 10min I go back and click it again (this has probably been done 10 times now) but still no mail about a serial nubmer.
So here I am sitting, waiting for my mail to the support to be handled by someone, unable to play my game.
I'we used similar services from other vendors, like GoG and I must say that the experience there was better, I got my serial when my payment was confired (instant) and I could start playing my game right after downloading it.
Hopefully my issue will be resolved fairly quick, but I'm still not going to play my new game to night by the looks of it

Best Regards.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #17

quick update I got my key now so I guess I can add a smile and say I am good to go, still think it could have been faster but yay game up and running!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
tsa
Playing character

I purchased some games without troubles and some with troubles. My troubles were handled with care and were solved in a client-friendly manner.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
tsa
Playing character

Bump.
I almost only have positive experiences, and the negative ones were solved quickly and professionally. I have one tiny little complaint though:
I get quite a few emails from the Adventure Shop. Some of them are sent by The Adventure Shop, but there are also a lot of them sent by Sherlock Holmes. This is confusing since it's not always directly clear from the subject what the mail is about. I hope you can change the sender to Adventure Shop so you have a more consistent output, and leave Mr. Holmes in his imaginary grave.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #20

Like tsa, I'm also receiving Adventure Shop emails from "Sherlock Holmes". Those emails SHOULD be labeled as sent from "The Adventure Shop". This is most probably an unintentional mistake from the people handling the newsletter, but it MUST be fixed.

Otherwise, I am enjoying the service and its wide selection of titles, all reasonably priced in my opinion.

Now fix your newsletter!