You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Adventure Shop Darkness Within 2 Activation issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Default Darkness Within 2 Activation issues

I purchased both Darkness Within's yesterday and 1 went through without any problems but 2 is...having issues.

When I try to get my activation code by typing in the serial number I get the following:

"The Communication with the Activation Server was intentionally interupted. This can be caused by

1) Your Firewall/Router/Proxy or a weak Wi-Fi connection
2) An Activation Server security policy enforcement."

This happens regardless of whether or not my firewall (or user account control) is on or off.

As well, if I try the option "I don't have an internet connection on this PC" to do the activation by http, it asks me to click on a link called "DarkLineage - @activ.htm" Clicking on this brings me to the manual activation website which is all well and good...until I click on the send request code button, which should, in theory, generate the activation code.

Instead I either get a time out or a "page does not exist" error. This happened both yesterday and today, so I'm thinking that the server on the other end is down or out of whack due to the sale and so many people downloading.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #2

I agree, that most likely I happened. I just hope it gets sorted out soon, I've been waiting to play this game for a while.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

This is happening with all kinds of games that need activation through Tages (I bought "Overclocked" myself). Searching the web I've learned this is a recurring problem, but once the server is back people can activate their games without trouble, so I hope it'll be resolved this time as well ... and soon.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #4

I bought Darkness Within 2, and Runaway 3. Runaway 3 installed and activated just as it should. With Darkness Within 2, I also received this message, and I just tried it a few minutes ago:

"The Communication with the Activation Server was intentionally interupted. This can be caused by

1) Your Firewall/Router/Proxy or a weak Wi-Fi connection
2) An Activation Server security policy enforcement."

I have spent hours on this. This is my first and probably last try at using this shop. I should have read reviews about their service before I got excited about buying a couple of games for half price from the UK.

I tried turning off every virus program, every firewall, etc. and I hate doing that. I am running as admin. I've done everything, and since Runaway 3 ran fine, it has to be on their end. I wrote them two days ago, I believe, and I have only received an automated note with my complaint number.

If this has happened before when they've had sales, they should know better and should have a way of making sure their site can handle the traffic. Very bad business, and I'll figure out a way to make a complaint if this isn't fixed soon. I'm not sure if the BBB works for them, as they are in the UK, but I'll figure out something.

ETA: Damon, your answer on the other thread is useless. I've tried your manual activation, and I just get a page saying that the page is unavailable. Are you in any way involved in running that site? If not, I apologize for saying this. If you are, then perhaps you should have checked out that page before telling people to use it as the "fix."

Last edited by Catnip; 06-14-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Adding info for DAMON
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #5

I just received this long list of things I am supposed to do to get my game working. Perhaps they are offering me an unpaid job with their company???! I have already tried most of them, but the last one is the last freaking straw! Here it is, gang, if you are waiting:

Thank you for contacting the Adventureshop Gamesplanet customer service

In response to your query sent on 13 June 2010, please find below the requested information.
We are sorry you are experiencing this problem with Tages activation. We are afraid that Tages had some temporary issues with their servers which have prevented you from activating the game.

Therefore we invite you to try again and, if the problem persists, please follow the instructions provided below:

Please make sure you have entered your serial number correctly (we know from experience that it is easy to confuse 0 (Zero) with O (Oscar), I with 1, G with 6 etc.).

If the problem persists, the activation might be blocked by firewall, antivirus and such - please disable during the activation process.

If you are using Windows Vista and Internet Explorer, the activation might be blocked by a security feature of IE. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security and set the "internet security" level to "medium-high" and deactivate the option for "enable protected mode".

If this does not help either, please update the TAGES drivers via the following links:

http://www.tagesprotection.com/5.5/TagesSetup.exe for 32 bit operating systems

http://www.tagesprotection.com/5.5/TagesSetup_x64.exe for 64 bit operating systems (this will resolve the error 1275, especially if you are using Windows 7).

In case even the activation still fails, we suggest consulting this page where you can find the solutions to the most common issues: http://www.tagesprotection.com/main....activation.htm

You may also contact Tages at: [email protected]

Please provide them with the following information:

1. The name of the game.
2. The name of your distributor.
3. The first 10 letters of your serial number (not your purchasing number).
4. Your IP address (this is needed to check the activation server log). Your external IP will be shown by websites like http://www.whatismyip.com/
5. The type of error or problem you have encountered - please quote the complete error message.
6. If relevant (depending on the kind of error), the name of your browser/proxy/firewall/pop-up blocker: they regularly test them and may have advice regarding their configuration.

If possible, please also send a screenshot of the error message dialog you encounter. The easiest way to create a screenshot of a dialog is by pressing the key combination ALT+PrintScreen and then pasting it into your e-mail editor message.

Please let us know how it is going, and excuse us for the delay of our answer.

Best Regards,
Laura
Adventureshop Gamesplanet Customer Service
eu-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com
Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #6

Got the same mail.

All that's important is this:

Quote:
We are afraid that Tages had some temporary issues with their servers which have prevented you from activating the game.
As long as those issues aren't solved, all the stuff they say you can try won't work.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #7

By the way, I tried the 64-bit driver thing she sent, and I got a message from my machine saying the drivers were already correctly running.
I can't believe they expect me to do all of this busy work, all of which is probably unnecessary. LAST TIME I EVER BUY FROM THEM, and I will be going to every forum I can think of soon to let every forum know not to buy from them, too.

ETA: Thank you, Little Writer. I agree completely with you. This is busy work to keep us working while Tages tries to fix their problems. If I buy a game from an online shop, especially one that says you have to get patches from them and not other sites, then I expect that site to handle problems with Tages for their customers. I wrote "Laura" letting her know. I hope I receive a working game plan or a refund really soon. I've been out of forums for quite a long time, and this pulled me back. I'm going to have to start looking up more passwords so that I can spread the word about Adventure Shop, if they don't fix it soon.

Last edited by Catnip; 06-14-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #8

Hey Catnip, you're more upset about this than I am. Try to relax a bit; I know what you're feeling but I don't think you're making a difference here. Give it some time.

Yesterday I already tried everything in Laura's mail after finding those "solutions" all over the internet myself. This problem has occured many times before and several people reported the activation worked once that server came back online (yet why these companies still rely on Tages after all that, I can't understand; it certainly can't help their business).

I've never bought a game in this shop before, because I read about their copies of "Runaway" still relying on the Starforce protection. I have a store-bought copy of "Runaway", which ran fine for years, but I can no longer get past that protection ever since I got a new pc with Vista and nobody has been able to help with that, either.

I only made my purchase now because of the 50% off deal. I'd decided to give it a try; 3 euro 50 isn't a big loss. But like yourself, I probably won't buy anything here again. If the game had been available through Steam, I would've bought it there in the first place. I bought several games at Steam in the last year, without any problems running them whatsoever.

Now I've read that some games at Steam still have to go through a Tages activation as well, and that people have run into the same trouble we're facing now. So you can't just blame the store; it's the publisher that includes these things.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
Adventure Shop

Dear all,

We are currently checking with TAGES what has happened with their activation system.

We sincerely apologize for this issue, and we will keep you informed once we will have a clear answer from their side.

Be assured that we are looking for a short solution to let you enjoy your games.

Damon
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
Adventure Shop

While we are checking with TAGES, I would like to propose you the following solution and try to activate manually your game.

The problem is mainly due to port forwarding issue.

Here the process to manually activate your game copy.

User Guide to TAGES manual activation.

First of all, please select the box « I don’t have an Internet Connection in this computer ». Click on Next.

The installation process will ask you to save a file named « game - @ctiv.htm » in the place of your choice (we advice you to choose the desktop).

Then,

Click twice this file, and the following page will appear:

Then click the « Create the activation file » button.
The internet page will ask you to save your game in order to activate it.

And,

Click twice this file and do a full copy/paste of the activation code (this includes information at the beginning of the code).

I hope it helps,

Thanks,
Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #11

Thanks Damon, I knew you're working on it.

The only thing I'm worried about is whether our failed attempts (I must've tried twenty times last night) still detract from the activation limit counter, and even when the connection is re-established it might not grant us access for that reason.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #12

Thank you, Damon, for yet again posting the same response about the manual activation. As I said before, if you would have actually read my post--It doesn't work. The web page is unavailable or not working. Thanks again for the kind and thorough attention you gave my previous posts, before you posted this again.

Little Writer, you are right. I'm more upset than you are, obviously. I've been off the boards for a long time and didn't realize this company was worthless, or I would never have bought from them. I buy full-length adventure games from Big Fish games, and they never have any issues like this. The most upsetting part is the condescending e-mails they send out, and their continued refusal to actually read the steps we've said we've already taken. They just belch out canned responses, and that is frustrating to me. Plus, I spent literally hours stupidly thinking that it really might be my system, or my firewalls, trying to get the game to work on my own. Now, I know better, but that doesn't make me feel any better about this store or Tages or the idiots who put it in their games. Thanks for being a voice of reason, though.

I'll still post in other forums to give everyone a heads up if this isn't fixed soon. At least they will be spared my headaches, and this company will lose business.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #13

Damon,

Tried this to infinity. It's this step that doesn't work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
Then click the « Create the activation file » button.
The internet page will ask you to save your game in order to activate it.

Clicking that button leads to a "page cannot be found" error when it tries to go to http://tpamaint.tages-protection.com/register/ul.htm:

We just aren't GETTING that file to save.

That's what's getting most of us so frustrated: everybody we ask refers to this manual activation technique, but nobody seems to realize it's part of the problem.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #14

Thank you, Little Writer.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #15
Adventure Shop

We are currently dealing this major issue directly with TAGES.

The activation server is down and We urged them to find a solution as this situation is unacceptable for our customers.

The Adventure Shop is unfortunately not the only portal to face this issue today. Many other games available online and using TAGES online activation system can not be activated.

I'll keep you posted as soon as we have a resolution and we will inform all of our customers by email at the same time.

Damon
Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #16

Thanks for the support, Damon.

Indeed, it's a problem for every game which has been outfitted with this kind of copy, no matter through which channels it's being sold.

I've also learned it's a recurring problem, coming back nearly every year.

I hope you will be able to sort it out.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #17
Adventure Shop

We should be able to communicate within 30 minutes.

Damon
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #18
Adventure Shop

Hi Folks,

I would like to inform you that TAGES online activation servers are live and fully functional.

We fully apologize for this issue.

Have fun

Damon
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #19

Just tried it and works like a charm. Thanks for the intervention. Any feedback on what the problem was? Because in my view, you don't have to apologize; Tages does.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
Adventure Shop

Little Writer,

I am just happy that you finally activated your games.
At the adventure shop we are sincerely sorry for this major issue.

We have had an incredibly positive response to this huge offer. At the same time as we were starting the promotion, TAGES plugged its online activation system to the entire catalogue of major AAA publisher.
The servers suffered from this overload.

Have fun,

Damon